Technique articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
We often deal with newbies on this site, so i thought it would be a good idea to maybe edit this into an existing sticky, or making it a new sticky. Its a pain in the ass for us who dont keep them all bookmarked to have to go and search for them every time someone is new and dont know what a deadlift or squat is. Feel free to edit inn or post good articles about form.
But please nothing from some weird website showing someone squatting with bad form and pink weights ;)
All these are from t-nation, feel free to add stuff from other sites aswell!

Squatting Articles:

Squat Analysis
- discusses different types of squats and how they differently distribute torque forces on your body. Discusses the full squat: why it was deemed dangeoraus, is it really dangeoraus? etc. Very good read.

Testosterone Nation - 10 Tips for Flawless Squattin'
Testosterone Nation - 6 Tricks for a Sexy Squat
Testosterone Nation - Squat 900 Pounds

Squat RX:
I quoted this from a thread at JP's. Don't worry, I asked for permission :)
Squat Rx Videos

Squat Rx #1: Lower back rounding and the bottom of the squat

Squat Rx #2: GMing out of the Hole

Squat Rx #3, Part I: Engaging the glutes and hamstrings, Part I
(Explains why leg press isn’t good, shows leg pullback (Pilates glute move), wide-stance good morning, one-leg RDL, and BSS)

Squat Rx #3, Part II: Engaging the glutes and hamstrings, Part II
(Shows GHR, reverse hyper and ball reverse hyper, CV deadlift, and Dimel deads)

Squat Rx #4: Bar positioning and squat depth
(Explains high bar and low bar positions [high bar is less demanding on shoulder flexibility])

Squat Rx #5: Hip and hamstring mobility and flexibility
(Improve mobility by squatting more. Shows various circles and twists, shoulder dislocates, hanging leg twists, Cossacks, various lunges, windshield wiper progressions, 90/90 stretch, kneeling glute and IT band stretches, kneeling quad/hip flexor stretch, elevated hamstring stretch)

Squat Rx #6, Part I: A dozen selected exercises for squatters, Part I
(Shows pulldown abs, bb reverse lunge, TKEs, band leg curls, sled pulls, one-leg deads)

Squat Rx #6, Part II:A dozen selected exercises for squatters, Part II
(Shows pullthroughs, suitcase deads, KB windmills, Turkish get-ups, lateral plate slides)

Squat Rx #7: Bands and chains

Squat Rx #8: Shoes
(Chucks, O-lifting shoes)

Squat Rx #9: JV squats and overhead squats

Squat Rx #10: Set-up and breathing
(Opens with him bailing onto safety supports!)

Squat Rx #11, Part I: Belts, wraps, and suits, Part I

Squat Rx #11, Part II: Belts, wraps, and suits, Part II

Squat Rx #12, Part I: Common squatting issues, Part I
(Heels coming up, hips shifting laterally)

Squat Rx #12, Part II: Common squatting issues, Part II
(Bar hurts on the back, upper back exercises)

Squat Rx #13: Box squats, pause squats, oscillatory isometric squats

Squat Rx #14: Seven core exercises
(pulldown abs, cable rotational abs, ab wheel, power wheel pike-ups, renegade rows, hanging leg raises, good mornings, seated good mornings)

Squat Rx #15: Front squat

Squat Rx #16: Hack squat

Squat Rx #17, Part I: Westside Basics, Part I

Squat Rx #17, Part II: Westside Basics, Part II

YouTube - Squat Rx #18: Concentric & Zercher Squats In this Squat Rx, concentric and zercher squat variations are discussed

Deadlift Articles
Testosterone Nation - Precision Pulling
Testosterone Nation - Deadlift Diagnosis
T-Nation.com | The Dead Zone
T-Nation.com | Mastering the Deadlift: Part I
Testosterone Nation - Mastering the Deadlift: Part II
TESTOSTERONE NATION - Mastering the Deadlift: Part III
Frequent Pulling for Faster Prog

Variationes:
Testosterone Nation - BONUS ARTICLE: Perfecting the Romanian Deadlift - Romanian

Benching Articles
Testosterone Nation - Bench Press 600 Pounds - A 12 Step Program
Testosterone Nation - Yo, How Much Ya Bench?

Articles for the Back
Testosterone Nation - A Closer Look at the Seated Row

Olympic Pulls
GAYLE HATCH :: broadband video channel

little bit of everything
The Video FitCast- Episode 6
The FitCast with Dan John showing some drills to help you squat good and deep as well as how to use your hip properly in olympic lifts.

(PS: i kinda stole the list from Mike Robertson's latest article at t-nation: Testosterone Nation - Plateau Busters! — 5 GUARANTEED Ways to Analyze and Break Through Plateaus)

Last edited:
Karky, this is great stuff. Thanks for pulling it all together. I'm saving this.

Haha, that's why it looked familiar, that article is great (mike robertson's new one), I already bookmarked it a few days ago.

The one other one that quickly came to my mind is the bsu reference page showing forms...

Good idea making it a sticky, as more and more people here are starting to get into the o lifts, maybe we can find a coupple more links that might help? I know of one i should be able to find, its not a tutorial exactly, but it has a nice thing where it shows the path the bar takes really good, which can be handy to see.

the sticky master :p

Again, anyone, feel free to post articles about form here or PM them to me and I'll edit them inn.

I added links to the squat RX vids on youtube. They are AWSOME, everyone should watch them. You can learn a lot of lifts to help your squat (they help for other lifts too). I'll be trying to CV deadlift myself tonight.

the benching isn't the olympic way, it is the powerlifting way. And the bodybuilding way of bench pressing is pretty much wrong as it puts much more stress on the shoulders.

The Squat RX series aren't about squat form specifically, they show a lot of assistance lifts that work for both the squat and deadlift (among other things). The name and the writing under the link suggests what that video shows.

Form Check

Here are a few :-

Power Clean

Get some cardio in and burn some fat with a barbell.

No swinging the weights :D Curls should only be done after your "proper" workout.

Last edited:
that shows them a bit into the vid.
Not very detailed though :(
If you have any questions make a thread in the weight training section, I bet a lot of people can chime in.

damn.. t nation changed something so the links don't work. I'm gonna have to go through them later and try to sort it out.

Since you've already got a couple dozen squat technique articles, I'm probably not adding any new information here, but today I wrote up an article on squat technique. Basic sections are: intro, typical bad squat technique (all the 90-degree stuff), learning with the bodyweight squat, adding weight into the mix and learning the back squat, then front squat, then overhead squat. I haven't discussed pros and cons of different depths, or said why someone should do one form of squat and not another. I've just discussed how to learn the squat, and some basic things about performing the back, front and overhead squat.

Hello!

Something that has become very popular and has helped many people is the program to reduce weight mentioned here:

I would like to share with you experiences and learn from those who have already put into practice.

greetings

good post shared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back