Tai Chi & Stress Management

There are many ways to become stressed. Most of us talk about mental stress, worries, fears and frustations spilling over into our physical system. Stress is a natural part of our daily life. Consistent stress can damage our physical health. Stress is an imbalance caused by anything that upsets the balance of the mind and body. However, the degree of stress is determined by how a person responds to it and manages it.

There are four identifiable categories of stress motivations such as Cognitive, Emotional, Psychodynamic and Situational. Various events in everyone's lives commonly cause stress. Events such as death of spouse or partner, divorce, seperation from spouse or partner, death of close family members, personal injury or illness, loss of employment, retirement etc.

Stress warning signals include

Feeling unable to slow down or relax
Explosive anger in response to minor irritation
Anxiety or tension lasting more than a few days
Inability to focus your attention
Fatigue, Sleep Disturbances, Tension headaches, Cold hands or feet
Aching neck and shoulder muscles
Indigestion, Loss or increase of apetite, Diarrhoea or constipation
Ulcers, Heart palpitations, Allergy or asthama attacks
We must exercise gently and steadily, relaxing the body and refreshing the mind.

Tai Chi movements reduce physical stress and clear the mind. It also gradually develops and strengthens the whole body evenly.

The benefits of Tai Chi are physical, mental, emotional and spiritual.

You're certainly right. I've been studying for quite some time now. Although I don't feel like I have all of the moves down yet, it certainly makes me feel energized, and upbeat in the morning. I definitely feel issues lifting when I do it..

I'd really love to join a class or something, but there's not really any in my town. I'd have to drive an hour each way to get to the closest one. Just wouldn't be worth it to me.

Last edited:
Back