Swimming

I haven't worked out in about a year, due to some strained joints and ligaments in my shoulders and elbows from power lifting and being stupid.

I've decided to start getting into swimming and see how my body takes to it. What kind of muscle can i expect to gain from swimming?

I have a friend who swims for the high school swim team, and she says that her arms were like bulging after 3 weeks of practices and meets.

Is it also possible for me to eat to get bigger, but not without the bigger being all muscle? I'm naturally skinny, and i'd like to get bigger and be toned.

I thought maybe if i got to where i felt like i could work out soon after i've been swimming for a bit, i'd stick with body weight exercises, and high rep resistance training with machines and maybe dumbbells 2 days a week, and swimming 3.

Ultimately I hope to join a team once i start getting better at it, but i'm focussing on the above for now.

Just curious. You want to get bigger, but not with muscle, and you want to become toned? What are you expecting to get that size from?

Just curious. You want to get bigger, but not with muscle, and you want to become toned? What are you expecting to get that size from?
So it's impossible to get bigger without putting on a substancial amount of muscle? unless i want to be fat. Correct?

So it's impossible to get bigger without putting on a substancial amount of muscle? unless i want to be fat. Correct?

Sorry for the late reply.

But yeah, your muscles, bones, and fat make up the "size" of the body, and as you can't force your bones to grow, muscle or fat are the only things that are going to cause a size increase.

You may find that you build lean muscle depending on how much you train as well as developing muscle that you wouldn't usually get through some other sports. Just remember if you start getting really serious about it youll have to increase your calorie intake to deal with the amount you burn.

Back