Suspect you have rounded shoulders? I wrote a guide on how you can test and fix them

Some of us have been hunching forward for a huge part of our lives because of the way we work. This is especially so if you have been working in front of the computer for a large part of your life (studying, working, playing games etc.)

As a result of this hunching, you may have developed rounded shoulders, causing your posture to be hunched forward.

In this post, I am going to share with you how you can test yourself to find out if you have rounded shoulders -- and also how to fix it.

Two Tests To See If You Have Rounded Shoulders

Method 1: Inward Shoulder Rotation |

Step 1: Stand as how you normally do. Arms down.
Step 2: With your hands by your side, notice your thumbs ? are your thumbnails pointing forward, parallel to each other? Or are they non-parallel? What angle are your thumbs forming right now?
Make a mental note and remember how your thumbs look like based on their angles. You have rounded shoulders if your thumbs are ?naturally? pointed towards each other (i.e not parallel.)

Method 2: Tight Chest, Weak Shoulders |

Step 1: Get a good look at your side profile (take a picture if you have to, or turn 90 degrees to either left or right). If you can?t get a picture, see step 2.
Step 2: Observe your cheekbone-collarbone alignment. Simply draw a vertical line down from your cheekbone. Does this line hit your collarbone? Or is it in front of the collarbone?

You have rounded shoulders if your cheekbone is ahead of your collarbone.

At this stage, if you do not have rounded shoulders, or are perfectly healthy, congrats! If not, you might want to consider doing the below exercises regularly to help fix it.

1. Floor Angels |

Step-by-Step Guide:

• Lie in a prone position, arms extended forward (like Superman)
  • Gently raise your arms off the ground, and bring your elbows as close to your waist as possible
  • Your hands should remain parallel and facing the front at all times
  • Bring down your arms
  • Lift them up and bring them back to the Superman position
  • Repeat for 15 reps, 5 seconds per rep

2. Wall Slides |

Step-by-Step Guide:

• Stand shoulder width apart, with full body contact against the wall (ankle, butt cheeks, shoulder blades, deltoids AND back of head)
  • Bring your elbows, wrists and back of hands up and against the wall, forming an L shape with your arms
  • Without losing ANY wall contact, slide your arms up and hold them up
  • Slowly slide back down
  • Repeat for 10 reps, 3 seconds per rep (up and down counts as 1 rep)

3. Wide Superman |

Step-by-Step Guide:

• Lie in a prone position, facing the floor
  • With arms extend to the side, raise your chest, arms and abs away from the floor
  • Repeat for 10 reps, 3 seconds per rep

4. Wall Corner Stretch |

Step-by-Step Guide:

• Find a corner in the room (or an open door)
  • Stand about 1 to 2 feet away from the corner or doorframe
  • With arms straightened and parallel to the ground, place your palms against the surface of the walls or door
  • Lean forward and bring your chest and head out as far as possible
  • Hold for 30 seconds

5. Cobra Pose |

Step-by-Step Guide:

• Lie in prone position, facing down
  • Bring palms next to your chest, as if you?re about to do a push up
  • Extend and straighten your arms, while relaxing your body from the abs and below
  • Tilt your neck back as far as you can as you extend and straighten your arms
  • Repeat for 10 reps, 3 seconds per rep

Hope this has been helpful! Let me know where I can improve!

If you would like more exercises on how to fix your rounded shoulders, here?s the .

Back