Surgical weight loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesLBurton

My friend is overweight and she has tried many weight loss exercises and diet routines, but failed to lose weight. She is 45 years old now. She ask about surgical weight loss. While going online, i knew about lap band surgery. Is this safe? anyone tried it? I am from Toronto and if anyone find it safe and effective, please suggest a clinic within Ontario? What about Credit Valley Clinic in Toronto? Here is their website <link removed> Anyone know this center?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have moved this thread over to the surgical weight loss section in the hope of it being seen by some of the people who have opted for the surgical approach.

I had to remove the link as it contravened our rules on spam.

I did not opt for surgery - but as your friend is undecided I can say that I was a very big person and had many failed attempts to lose weight. I did however find that daily walking combined with eating very healthily worked for me when more strict official "diets" failed every time. If you have a lot of weight to lose - you need something that you can keep up over the long term. I have never been able to continue eating tiny portions or foods on an imposed list. Very low calorie numbers are counter-productive. I felt like I was starving when I tried to survive on 1000 or 1200 calories a day... I would not be able to do that now... Big people are often amazed at how many calories they can have and lose weight successfully if they take up walking or other manageable exercise...

Your friend may get the information about the clinic that you are researching... If she does not - she may benefit from trying again with a more lenient approach...

I’ve got two friends that have undergone surgical procedures to help them reach healthy weight; with two very different outcomes. One is happy and her weight is slowly, but surely dropping—she’s taking it easy and is responding nicely. I have the feeling she’d like a faster rate of loss, but she’s down 6 dress sizes and still shrinking, so it’s going well. The other friend pushed her eating too much once out of her recovery period after surgery; she’d dropped a lot of weight in those two months and she was feeling good. Old habits die hard, however, and because she pushed herself to eat too much, her stomach has begun to re-stretch, so she’s putting back on the weight she initially lost.

No matter what strategy is chosen to lose weight it requires dedication and strong willpower; and with surgery it’s especially important as you can have serious medical issues—like tearing your stomach open—if you don’t follow your meal plan directly after surgery.

Before opting on surgery, to anyone considering it, I’d suggest you look at the proposed meal plan that is set up post-procedure. Try some of the recipes in the cook book, make sure it’s something you like and wouldn’t mind eating regularly. If it is, then try going on that diet for a couple of weeks—adjust the portions so they’re larger, though, or you’re going to be terribly unhappy with the amount of food. If it’s a change you think you could make for the long-term, you may not need surgery, or it may just mean you’ll have an easier time after surgery.

Surgery is a valid option, it’s just not something to dive into and it’s certainly not a quick fix or a magic pill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back