Substitutions/Exchanges

Emerald1

Tips on great substitutions or exchanges for proteins, carbohydrates, fats, high calorie foods and more.

Enjoy!

I wanted to share that cauliflower is a great substitute for rice.

If you have a food processor or a blender you can make cauliflower rice. A processor works best. (You could also use a knife but it will take a lot of effort on your part).
Pulse the cauliflower in the processor until it looks like rice (lol really that's all). I takes about 7 seconds or so as long as you don't over stuff the machine.

Then cook it just as you would cook rice.
boil it
steam it
bake it
It's also a good alternative to the higher calorie stir-fry. Using cauliflower definitely lowers the calorie content.
It will take on any flavors you add to it just like rice does.

You can eat a ton of this for minimal kCal.
It's also probably a good choice if you are eating low carb ^_^

1 cup of rice = 200kCal
1 cup of cauliflower rice = 25kCal

(images below are from google images)

The calorie savings aren't necessarily huge with this one, but if you make coffee and you think it needs sweetening, consider diluting with hot water first and then trying again (it may simply be too strong). Or try more milk- it's better than adding sugar (depends on what you think on artificial sweeteners, artificial sweeteners will probably be lower calorie).

Also, try switching from higher fat milk to lower fat milk. To do this, mix one form of milk with another until you can handle the flavour, then add a little more of the lower fat one, until you're only drinking lower fat milk (so 3/4 whole 1/4 semi-skim, half whole half semi-skim, 3/4 semi-skim 1/4 whole, 100% semi-skim). This is how my mum weaned me off whole milk when I was 8 years old, and I wouldn't drink full fat milk now even if it were lower calorie (it tastes like it's gone off).

Lettuce for Tortilla Wraps

Lettuce can make a nice substitute for tortilla or other wraps (like fiber wraps).

I've made lettuce tacos several times in the past. My favorite to use is Butter Crunch Lettuce.
Just choose the type of lettuce that you like (romaine, boston or butter crunch) and stuff them or rolled them full of shrimp, taco meat, chicken, fish or steak pieces. You could keep it vegetarian too of course.

1 White Wrap- 100-200 kCal
Low Calorie Fiber Wrap- 70 kCal
Lettuce- 5 kCal

~images from google

Last edited:
Banana or Applesauce instead of Eggs

When baking, you can replace eggs with bananas or applesauce. Exchange 1 egg for 1/2 banana or 1/4 cup of applesauce.
Both bananas and applesauce are known to make baked goods like muffins and cakes moist.

-This can also help take a modest bit fat and cholesterol out of the recipe
-Vegans may appreciate knowing this substitute ^_^

images from google

Lower the calories on meals by reducing the amount of meat you have in them. A lot of the recipes I use are moderately low-moderate calories, but I can reduce them to low calories simply by using less meat (I aim to use 100g, or approx. 3.5oz, of meat per serve- some of the recipes I've seen call for a kilogram- approx 35oz- of meat, or more, for 4 people). This can also make the meal seem more indulgent by having more sauce per serve (some of the reviews on recipes I make say that there isn't enough sauce). Supplement bulk with more vegetables- you can pretty much go nuts with most vegetables (depending on how they're cooked and with some exceptions) and fill yourself up that way.

Instead of adding a ton of cheese to brocolli.....
try using just a bit of parmesian cheese instead, parmesian has a high flavor / calories ratio.
The same is also true of cheddar cheese, use the sharp to get max. flavor instead of mild.
Also, shredded cheese spreads out a lot better and you can use less than grated or sliced.

Reduce your consumption of salt
Use a variety of spices instead of salt

To reduce sodium consumption experiment with the flavors of the earth. Herbs and spices like Rosemary, Cloves, Ginger, Thyme, Parsley, Allspice, Pumpkin Spice, Cayenne, Paprika, Lemon Grass, Turmeric, Tarragon or make your own Garam Masala.

There are well known combinations that make excellent recipes. Surf the web and find the ones that you like the most. There's more to flavor than salt and pepper.

Here's a list of common foods and the herbs and spices that are known to go well with them.

Beans
- cumin, cayenne, chili, oregano, parsley, pepper, sage, savory, thyme

Breads - anise, basil, caraway, cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, dill, garlic, lemon peel, orange peel, oregano, poppy seeds, rosemary, saffron, sage, thyme

Fruits - allspice, anise, cardamom, Chinese 5-spice, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, ginger, mint

Potatoes - basil, caraway, celery seed, chervil, chives, coriander, dill, marjoram, oregano, paprika, parsley, poppy seed, rosemary, tarragon, thyme

Salads and Salad Dressings - basil, caraway, celery seed, chives, dill, fennel, garlic, horseradish, lemon peel, lovage, marjoram, mint, mustard, oregano, parsley, rosemary, sumac, tarragon, thyme

Soups - basil, bay, chervil, chili, chives, cumin, dill, fennel, garlic, marjoram, parsley, pepper, rosemary, sage, savory, star anise, thyme

Sweets - allspice, angelica, anise, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, fennel, ginger, lemon peel, mace, nutmeg, mint, orange peel, rosemary, star anise

Tomatoes - basil, bay, celery seed, cinnamon, chili, curry, dill, fennel, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, marjoram, oregano, parsley, rosemary, savory, tarragon, thyme

Vegetables - chili, chives, curry, dill, marjoram, parsley, savory, thyme

PEANUT BUTTER!!!! ^_^

For those of you who love peanut butter but hate the high calories and fat grams... well... have you heard of PB2 Peanut Butter?

This is what I use. I found out about it a year ago and I am so glad that I did.

It's only 45 calories per serving (2 Tablespoons)!!!
Regular peanut butter is normally 200 calories.

It comes in powder form. All you have to do is add water. This may sound strange to some but for me I see it as an opportunity to make it into the consistency I want it to be. And, it's only 45 calories so I don't care. lol

Look it up if you really like peanut butter or really miss it. ^_^

from Amazon ^_^

Back