stress fractures... over and over again

I am (was) a competitive swimmer of 15 years... and starting running about a year ago to keep in shape. Since that time, I have had 2 stress fractures in my right tibia... and the last bone scan I got the doctor said he suspects I had several growing up (presumably when we would run during off season) and I was just not aware of it.
I started running progressively, going by the 10% rule, and keep getting thrown off the track by these injuries.
I have very flexible arches (my ankles/knees roll inward) and I have had knee surgery on my right knee, the same leg as the stress fractures. Any suggestions on how to keep this from happening, what may be causing it, etc??

Do you run every day? Do you run the same distance every day? Do you do some strength and stretching exercises for your calves and knees?
Most experts recommend varied distance work for runners. For example milage for a typical week would be: 2,3,2,6,2,12,rest. I would also recommend you skip running at least 2 or 3 days a week and hit the weight room. You need a certain degree of muscle and connective tissue strength to support your joints to reduce the probability of injury that is best developed with resistance training. Try some calf raises for the ankle and shins, leg extensions and leg curls for the knee, situps or leg raises and hyperextensions or stiff legged deadlifts for the trunk support muscles, and some upper body exercises to keep balance throughout your body.

I have not started running again since my last injury (just about to the 3 month mark), and I have been strength training for 1.5 months now (as the doctor has allowed). In the past, I have been running 5 days a week with 3 days of strength training in there... 1 on an off day, 2 on very low mileage days. I never varried my mileage THAT much, did more something along the lines of 3,2,3,2,6.
I am hoping, though, that if I really focus on my strength training for another few weeks, and concentrate on it while I building my mileage up (which takes for EVER it seems), things will work out better. But, I am still concerned that my biomechanics are going to continue to hurt me... is there any way or any website/book I can read that will let me know if I am doomed unless I wear some type of orthodic?

Back