Strained muscle in foot, what should I do?

Starting in the past few months, I've gotten into the habit of running almost every day. I would run 3-6 miles per day, five days a week (at least). I really needed to burn off fat as I was pretty overweight, and its been working. I lost over 30 pounds and I've felt like I'm in much better shape.

This past friday, I ran 12 miles non stop, something I've never done before. It was very difficult but I'm happy to say that I did it.

Unfortionately the next day, I had pain in my left foot. It feels worse the normal muscle soreness. Its on the left side of my foot, sort of on the bottom. Its not constant, its only when I'm standing up and/or walking for an extended period of time. when I first wake up in the morning, I don't feel it, but after I start walking to classes I feel it.

I've tried using heat/ice and muscle soreness cream I picked up from CVS. AGain, they work for a little while but after a while it hurts again.

I think that my old running shoes were probably used up, and I've since tossed them and gotten myself a new pair. Nevertheless, I'm still wondering what I should do in the meantime. Its tuesday and it still hurts. I really want to get back out there and run some more, as I've actually come to enjoy it, and I'm on a weight loss schedual thats been working and I don't want to mess it up.

I also don't want to make this worse by running on it before it heals. What should I do? Is avoiding running and heat/ice pretty much all I can do until it goes away?

As a side note I tried going on a stationary bike at the gym tonight. Didn't hurt my foot at all but god I hate those things. The seats are incredably uncomfortable, and it gets too hot in there.

moved to medical forum.

Agreed, don't aggravate it. If it continues to hurt after a week or two, you may have done more damage than a simple strain. Then it is time to go see a doc. I would find a chiropractor certified in ART before I went to an ortho though. Any soft tissue damage I have that is beyond rest's healing capabilities I get ART done.

Well I wish I didn't have to walk, then I could lay off it entirely.

But yeah I'll let it go for a little while longer, and if its no better i'll see a doctor

While this is healing, is it okay if I use a stationary bike? I didn't feel any pain from my foot when I was using it yesterday as there is no impact on the foot. I just want to have some measure of exercise while I'm waiting to be able to run.

Man I got up this morning, and the moment my feet hit the floor I felt a lot of pain.

I have an appointment with a doctor later this afternoon.

The doctor said it doesn't appear to be anything serious, and I should just take 600mg ibuprofine three times a day for the next week.

Unfortionately I'll have to lay off the running until then, which is unfortionate.

I tore a muscle in my foot and could barely walk on it so i just rested it and after about 3 weeks it was back to normal.

I went to see a doctor as i wanted to know if there was anything i could be thing to help it repair quicker because i needed to get it better in time to go surfing.

Back