Speed (track) and muscle workouts for a 15 year old?

I'm 15 5'6 139 lbs. I'm trying to improve my speed and gain a little tone to my muscles in the process. Summer starts in 2 weeks for me and I want to start a consistent workout throughout the whole 2 1/2 months. I run a 24.9 200m and an 11.5 100m. I'm trying to make the varsity team next year. I'm not lazy and I'm committed to what I do. Also, any foods that you recommend ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I will start with the obvious intervals, I prefer Timmons, but others like Tabata, sprinters like you will probably be equally suited with either.
Plyometric training to give you more explosive power. Keep this sensible due to your age, masses of impact on still growing or unfused bones is not recommended so keep this as a small part of your training.
Explosive weight training. This will be best suited as compound movements, many sprinters use Olympic lift style training for the explosive nature. This comes with a major health warning, be 100%+ sure that you have the technique perfect with a pathetic weight (this could be a broomstick) before considering doing this with higher weights. As with anyone your age keep weight training sensible, reps of 10 or above unless you have a coach who can assure your safety in lower reps and at your age 10 reps should be on weights you could do 11 or 12 with, training to failure while still growing should be for extreme reps only 50+ when this is fatigue not stress.
Examples of these exercises are high pulls, power cleans, snatch, push press, clean and press and jump lunges. They use a lot of the body and done wrong you will injure yourself in multiple places, but the advantages gained from being able to do them well on your overall power and co-ordination are worth the effort.

Yes strongly recommend explosive and plyometric training to help you to get as fast as possible. In all honesty, most of the speed you develop will come as a result from what you do in the weight room.

In speed training, most world class athletes only do actual all out running AT MOST twice per week.

Focus on developing your leg strength and mechanics, your flexibility as well as your core strength.

Good exercises to do would be your basic Olympic lists such as deadlifts, squats, power cleans to help you develop your quick twitch muscles. However, make sure a coach is present ti ensure that you have the absolute best technique possible.

AN alternative to overloading with Olympic lifting would be to train with kettle bells. This has been absolutely tremendous for every single one of my athletes.

I hope thi helps and best of luck to you

This has been absolutely tremendous for every single one of my athletes.

Back