Slight Scholiosis

I have slight scholiosis and my doctor said I am ok to lift but whenever I do my lowers my back will stay sore for 4-5 days as opposed to my legs which will only be sore for 1-2 at the most. Anything I can do to help with the pain?

that usually just means your back is lacking, in comparison. it could even be a mental thing, knowing something is wrong and expecting to be. and to tell you the truth, almost everyone has scholiosis to some degree. if a man always sits with his wallet in his back right pocket he will develop an imbalance that will shift the spine. just a little, but it'll move.

I have a scoliosis in the upper and lower back, only time it hurts after lifting is when my form is off. Make sure your form is impeccable, if not sure geta trainer for a few sessions to make sure you are doing everything properly. It can be money very well spent.

Could be mental too, my lower back never hurt until the doctor told me there was a herniated disk there, then it started hurting all the time.

My form is fine I made sure of that and it isn't mental because I found out about the scholiosis because of my back hurting so much after lifting.

Well one thing could be that the muscles the side the curve is away from can become much stronger than on the side it curves too, so you could be working muscles that have a degree of atrophy from having no tension on them ever. That can cause them to do things like hurt alot, or spasm. That could well correct given enough time. They may have been like this for many years, or from birth so it could take a long time to get the muscles strengthened up enough to stop from hurting.

I once read that if you have to go to a chiropractor more than 3 weeks in a row, you're only aggravating the problem. I believe for scholiosis the best treatment is a back brace. Currently, there's no research that chiropractic has any positive effects on scoliosis other than temporary pain relief. Might as well take aspirin - they're less likely to do serious harm to your body.

I'm all about alternative medicine, but I hold no confidence in chiropractors as a long-term health solution. A good chiropractor will recognize that:

(a) Chiropractic is best suited to heal musculoskeletal ailments - not every illness that ails you, as is part of the fundamental theory behind chiropractic over the last 200 years
(b) Sometimes, conventional medicine is required for certain ailments

Yeah, chiroproctor did me no good for scoliosis at all. Brace are efffective for a very bad curve and while you are still growing. When you are an adult the best is to manage the pains, watch what aggravates it and try not to do it to much and maintain your flexibilty by doing stretching.

I actually ponied up the dough for a physiotherpist visit to get some advice on motions and exercises to keep from getting worse. Weight training has helped me alot but I have to watch my motions, some of them just plain hurt in the wrong way so I stop doing them and look for another exercise for that muscle group.

Last edited:
I also have scoliosis , about 15 degrees, and I don't have any trouble when I lift weights. My doctor told me that working out to a lavel can be good for my back. You should wear a brace for you back for few hours a day, not while you work out because that would be impossible, and also try to keep your back straight. Also ask your doctor about some few very simple excersizes that you might do every dayy in order to improve the situation of your back.

Back