Shepherd's Pie with Mashed Potatoes/Squash

Fitnessdotcom

Shepard's Pie consists of seasoned beef and vegetables that are topped with cheesy mashed potatoes and squash.Meat and Vegetables1 1/2 pounds (680 g) extra-lean ground beef1 cup chopped yellow onions2 teaspoons minced garlic1 teaspoon paprika1/2 teaspoon dried thyme1 cup frozen peas-and-carrots blend1 cup frozen or canned corn2/3 cup reduced-sodium beef broth2 tablespoons chili sauce1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce1/4 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepperPotato/Squash topping2 pounds (908 g) Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks2 cups (about 1/2 lb / 250 g) peeled and chopped butternut squash1/2 cup light sour cream1/2 cup + 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese1/4 teaspoon saltDash nutmegChopped fresh parsley for garnish, optional

More...

what is squash, how much vegetables can be used in this recipe?
can any fruit be added for garnishing?

Squash is a vegetable - if you havent heard of it - google it and maybe buy some.

The recipe already has a reasonable amount of veg in it
1 cup chopped yellow onions
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
1 cup frozen or canned corn
1/2 lb butternut squash

measurements were listed with all those items

if you want more veg - feel free to add it - recipes can be modified to taste

most people garnish with parsley as the recipe suggests - but if you want to garnish with fruit you can

Clark Kent grew up on a farm, and he knew his veggies, you sir, are no Clark Kent.
[shaking my head in disbelief that people don't know what squash is]
What HAS this world come to?
Seriously, you need to take a stroll down to your local store and take a look at what vegetables are there.

Looks like a great recipe. Clark almost anything goes with Shepard's except for fruit!
Any leftover meats work and any vegetable, really. Butternut Squash is sort of like a yam except
not on the sweet side. It's a healthier alternative to white potatoes in my eyes.

Sounds good but potatoes are fattening, they are full of starch. If you are trying to lose weight stay away from them. You can eat a very small portion of mashed potatoes but I would avoid it completely since they don't even have good nutrition and you don't feel satisfied after eating it.

but how on earth do you eat peas without mashed potatoes to help getting 'em on the fork...! :)

I used to hate stream beams but I started adding them little by little in food that I like. Now I'm so used to them that I actually like them. I've done that with many vegetables so that I have a more varied diet.

Sounds good but potatoes are fattening, they are full of starch. If you are trying to lose weight stay away from them. You can eat a very small portion of mashed potatoes but I would avoid it completely since they don't even have good nutrition and you don't feel satisfied after eating it.

It's unfortunate you don't feel satisfied after eating a potato. I wonder how you are preparing them. I know the traditional method was boiling, but there are much tastier ways to cook your food. A baked potato, for example, can be very flavorful when combined with a good blend of spices and herbs, and perhaps a vegetable puree as a dressing.

Potatoes are high in starch, but have you looked at what other nutrients they contain? For a large russet potato (weighing in at 2/3 lbs and only 300 calories), you can expect about 1/8 of your protein requirements, a whole host of B-vitamins, over half the recommended daily value of vitamin C, and significant levels of iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and manganese. People don't usually talk about fiber, but this tuber has about 7 grams of it (the W.H.O recommends getting at least 25 grams of fiber).

I wouldn't be so hasty to say potatoes are fattening. If you do some research on how your body actually produces fat, you might find that in general, you have to have an excess of calories. The starch (or any bioavailable carbohydrate) will be used as the primary energy source for your body to carry out metabolic processes. If all you ate was a baked potato as your breakfast, two baked potatoes for lunch, and three baked potatoes for dinner, you would still be loosing fat since you likely didn't hit your calories required for your daily metabolism (unless you are a small person or child). Of course, don't follow this diet as you would be bored of it by dinner, and you would lack other micronutrients not covered in potatoes.

I would suggest further research into nutrition if you really want to know how to get healthy. Body fat is only one factor. You can start with that, but don't confine yourself to only one arena.

Potatoes are high in starch, but have you looked at what other nutrients they contain? For a large russet potato (weighing in at 2/3 lbs and only 300 calories), you can expect about 1/8 of your protein requirements, a whole host of B-vitamins, over half the recommended daily value of vitamin C, and significant levels of iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and manganese.

While I agree they have a fair nutrient profile, a good protein source the are definitely not, at 5 grams in a medium potato that is a lot that would be needed to be consumed. For example to reach 1/8 of my protein needs I would need three medium potatoes, that is over 500 calories which makes them not a great choice and the other nutrients can be found in other less calorie dense foods.

I don't think anyone would recommend the russet potato (or Yukon Gold like the recipe above calls out) as a sole protein source. I wanted to point out that it isn't a waste of a vegetable - that it has value. The post I replied to indicated the notion that potatoes "don't have good nutrition" when in fact, they have an abundance of nutrition.

That being said, most people don't require a huge amount of protein for thier everyday routine. A sedentary 5'8" Male weighing 140 lbs (the average healthy BMI) only needs 50 grams of protein (from the generally recognized .36g/lb ratio). I realize most people are quite a bit heavier than that as the new normal, but thier calorie intake needed for maintenance weight will afford them the calories in a russet potato while still supplying a decent amount of protein.

I've always recommended a diet diverse in plants to maximize the amount of nutrition. Potatoes are just one of many out there. Have one for breakfast with a cup of beans and a cup of corn corn (southwest flavors come to mind) and you'll have 20-25 grams of protein before you even walk out the door. Or in the spirit of this post, mashing the potatoes on a hodgepodge of ingredients will give the meal a protein boost. Maybe try substituting the cow with lentils.

We're off topic a bit about protein, but there's a game changing documentary out there about body builders on a plant based diet. I encourage everyone reading this to do some research if they are interested.

the glycemic index is a number from 0 to 100 assigned to a food, with pure glucose arbitrarily given the value of 100. lower numbers will produce a slower insulin reaction to the rise in blood sugar while high GI numbers will trigger a more severe impulse reaction. the further you get from fresh produce, the more processing it goes through, the higher this number generally goes...

glycaemic index.jpg

We're off topic

I agree we are off topic so keeping this short, BMI is a rubbish number outside of the realm of statistics and even a lightweight 63 kg male needs more than 50 grams of protein, 1 gram per kg for general activity puts the protein need at 63 grams, it could possibly be less but would depend on bodyfat %. I would also point out the so called docco is full of bad science, references to studies which are not studies and almost everybody associated with it has related products to sell. It is nothing but a propaganda movie that has been shredded in many reviews.

I like topping my mince with sweet potato and banana. :)

Back