ScullyToo's Journal (comments, please)

I've got a plan, but I think I might need to change it for time's sake and I want to make sure that I'm not doing too many exercises for one area in one day. So any assistance is appreciated once you view my journal.

1/2/06

Cardio: Treadmill -- 30 min. -- Top Speed: 2.5 mph (How I do the treadmill is that I bring up the speed .5 miles every 5 minutes, then after the top speed start bringing it down .5 miles every 5 minutes as a "cool down")

Exercises

One-Arm Dumbbell Row: 2 sets, 10 reps at 5 pds
Dumbbell Shrug: 1 set, 15 reps, 5 pds; 2 sets, 10 reps, 7.5 pds
Dumbbell Pullover: 1 set, 15 reps, 5 pds; 2 sets, 10 reps, 7.5 pds
Bench Press: 2 sets, 8 reps, 45 pds (just the bar, no weights)
Incline Chest Fly: 2 sets, 10 reps, 5 pds.
Incline Chest Press: 2 sets, 8 pds., 45 pds. (again, just the bar)
Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 2 sets, 10 reps, 5 pds.
Lateral Raise: 2 sets, 8 reps, 5 pds.
Front Raise: 2 sets, 10 reps, 5 pds.
Dumbbell Biceps Curl: 2 sets, 12 reps, 5 pds
Triceps Kickback: 2 sets, 10 reps, 5 pds.
Wrist Curl: 2 sets, 10 reps, 5 pds.
Reverse Wrist Curl: 2 sets, 10 reps, 5 pds.
Quad Press: 2 sets, 6 reps
Kneeling Leg Curl: 2 sets, 10 reps
Inner Thigh Lift: 2 sets, 10 reps
Standing Calf Raise: 2 sets, 10 reps
Toe Lift: 2 sets, 10 reps.
One-Legged Press: 2 sets, 10 reps., No weight added to machine

Date: 1/4/06

Cardio: Treadmill -- 30 min. -- Top speed: 2.0 mph

Assisted Pull-Up: 2 sets, 10 reps, 35 pds. (rep. of how much of my own weight I was pulling up on the machine)
Lat Pulldown: 2 sets, 10 reps, 40 pds.
Seated Row: 2 sets, 10 reps, 40 pds.

Stopped there because I wasn't feeling well -- turned out I had (and still have) a sinus infection. But my goal here was to do all machine exercises.

Date: 1/6/06

Cardio: Treadmill -- 30 min. -- Top speed 2.5 mph

Back Delt Fly: 2 sets, 10 reps, 5 pds
Cable Row: 2 sets, 10 reps, 40 pds.
Assisted Pull-Up: 2 sets, 10 reps, 35 pds.
Assisted Dip: 2 sets, 10 reps, 35 pds.
Dumbbell Chest Press: 1 set, 15 reps, 5 pds; 2 sets, 10 reps, 7.5 pds.
Cable Crossover: 2 sets, 10 reps, 20 pds. an arm
External Rotation: 2 sets, 10 reps, 5 pds.
Internal Rotation: 2 sets, 10 reps, 5 pds.
Sitting Dumbbell Rear Raises: 2 sets, 1 of 10 and 1 of 12, 5 pds.
Concentration Curl: 2 sets, 12 reps, 5 pds.
Wrist Curl: 2 sets, 12 reps, 5 pds
Reverse Wrist Curl: 2 sets, 10 reps, 5 pds.
Triceps Pulldown: 2 sets, 10 reps, 30 pds
Leg Press (machine): 2 sets, 10 reps, 100 pds.
One-Legged Press: 2 sets, 10 reps, no weight added
Leg Extension: 2 sets, 10 reps, 40 pds.
Leg curl: 2 sets, 10 reps, 40 pds.

Why no back exercises/ab exercises in here: Threw my back out on Christmas Eve when I went to put a remote on the coffee table. Right now I'm avoiding core exercises until my back feels well enough to do them. And I should add that on days when I don't do weight training I do strictly cardio work.

Any suggestions, comments, criticisms...feel free to tell me. I wanted to get a variety of exercises in here so that I don't get bored doing my routine.

What are your goals?

I see a 2 cents slot, here's my coin....

I would:
1 - Put the cardio after the weightlifting instead of before, except for a 5 - 10 minute warmup
2 - do 3 or 4 sets instead of 2
3 - Those are a heck of a lot of exercises per day. Stop after 45 or 60 minutes or at least take a good rest (and munch up some dextrose to keep your muscles from being eaten.

My main goal is to lose weight -- I'm 5'8", started at 270 pds. but am now down to 265 pds. I want to be able to see the muscles first before I start toning and building them. :) I've always been told by trainers in the past that I should do at least 30 min. of cardio before doing weight training. I've also had trainers tell me to do weight training 3x a week and cardio 5x a week to lose the weight.

30 mins as a warm-up sounds a bit excessive. I would take spacehamsters advice and switch your cardio to afterwards apart from a 5 min warmup.

You're losing weight already - thats excellent. Whats your diet like? Weight loss starts in the kitchen but, it can't be bad if the weight is coming off.

Your intensity on the treadmill seems quite low...how do you find it? 2.5mph is walking pace, right? Try spending longer at your top speed and gradually increase it each time.

I would also say, if your main goal is to lose weight, I would cut out a lot of your excercises like wrist curls, reverse wrist curls and toe lifts. If you work the bigger arm muscles, your forearms get a workout anyway. Same goes for legs - I would argue these specific targeting exercises aren't the best use of your time in the gym.

I bet those trainers were cardio freaks, not muscle builders.
Too much cardio in the beginning burns up all of your carb and other quick resources leaving you weak when you start lifting.

If you wanna find out for yourself just try it and feel the noticable difference!

I'm pro wristcurls however....sometimes.
Just look at most weightlifters what arms they have. They have big upper arms but tiny underarms.
Wrist curls once in a while never hurted anyone.

And there's one extremely useful thing I learned from experience in the past months:
If there are exercises that you don't like or even hate, then keep them and perfect them! Those are the exercises you will need most!

Well, as far as my eating habits go, I've just gotten better about eating (although I have my chocolate indulgences once inawhile, but I try to make it dark chocolate). I watch the amount of saturated fat and fat in my diet primarily because my cholesterol test last month was so high.

Wrist curls/Reverse wrist curls: I do those for one simple reason: I write for a living. I'm a reporter for a small paper, and I've had problems in the past with tendonitis from writing so much when I was in high school. I figure if I can strengthen my wrists my occurences won't be so high.

2.5 is walking speed, but it's a very fast walking speed and I reach my THR there, but now I've added a 2.0 incline to that, which will probably increase as time goes on until I can get to a faster speed. I can't run -- my knees aren't made for it at the moment, and anytime I try to run I'm completely out of breath. But starting this week I'm going to the elliptical machine for something different. I discovered awhile ago that I don't like bikes because my butt falls asleep and I have a hard time finding a decent position to sit in.

I think you're doing pretty great on your own. Just continue to expand your knowledge whenever you can and stay consistent.
Add my vote to aerobic exercise after the weighs. This is of course excluding a 5-10 minute warm up.

I think you should bump up the weight a bit and move the internal/external rotations to the beginning of your workout as a pre-hab movement. How's your back and do you know when you'll be given the okay to start working it again?

I would also use a partial range of motion on the leg extensions. Start the movement at an 8 oclock position rather than using full range of motion.

I would also keep only about a 30 sec rest period between sets and run the whole thing in a nice circuit. When weight loss starts to come to a halt, then it's time to change things.

Back