Running

i am a frequent soccer player. it seems everytime i play soccer theres sum1 that is a faster runner than me.. how could i be fast at running? is it muscle? or technique?:confused: :confused:

Well, are you talking about a 15 yard sprint at the beginning of the game or a 100 yard dash down the field at the end of a game? Both are important, but will require different training methods to get there.

And I think both (muscle/training and technique/mental) are important.

u just need to train your muscles to handle the load u put on them, to do this you need to do a combination of short sprints and longer runs (at a good speed)....but the key factor is to train 3-4 times a week and stick to it, maybe run 2 days and hit the gym 2 days, it takes time to build muscle and the biggest problem people have is they stop training after not getting the results they want right away, the results will come, if u put the time and effort in (and maintain that effort even after u reach your goals).

I think one of the easiest things you can do is interval training. When I played soccer in high school we used to run telephone poles.... for 30-40 minutes we'd sprint the length of one set of poles, then jog the length of the next. This way you get a good mix of speed and endurance.... and all you need to do is step outside!

Also, try to remember that each person is born with a certain % of fast twitch/slow twitch muscle fibers. No matter how much training you do if you have a very high percentage of slow twitch muscle fibers, you will never be that fast of a sprinter, compared to some. It sucks, but genes are very important to remember when training ... some goals are unrealistic ...

.. but, please don't shoot the messenger :)

Last edited:
No problem! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy and that I understood the concept and what you were talking about.

Back