running in heat and high humidity

When we vacation in Mexico I run on the beach every other day. On the "off days" I just walk it leisurely. It's a real treat running barefoot on the sand and with the water nearby I can always zig over and get a splash. I'm in brief swimwear, so there is no issue with soggy clothes either. It's simply glorious.
Not surprisingly, as nice as this is, the running is also hard work and I am careful to hydrate and take it easier than when running at home.
I have yet to approach the distances I am comfortable with at home and wonder about what kind of "offset" other people give them selves when they run in similar conditions. I have no running companions to compare notes with . . .
I am also a relatively novice runner - have yet to break the five-mile mark.
Any thoughts on this?
Pete

I hate humidity. Being a plodder I find varying my pace horrendously difficult. If you are one if the majority who can cover varied pace, just slow down a small amount to get the extra distance and be breathing easily enough to hydrate frequently.
Possible if not sensible idea, holiday in Alaska instead? Would work for me I love the cold.

When I run (slowly - lol) in humid conditions I find that I need more fluid so I either bring it or stash it depending on the location. I have also found using my heart rate monitor or RPE to help let me know when I should speed up or slow down. I have a running friend who loves the humidity and runs much faster than I do and she doesn't have to make any modifications.

Alaska is just too cold for us. We're nudists and go to Mexico for sun and sand. The wife complains endlessly when she is cold.

Humidity is a trick condition to deal with. High humidity does more than just simulate hotter weather. The moisture in the air makes it impossible for any of your sweat to evaporate, essentially shutting down your body's ability to thermoregulate (cool down).

That being said, to exercise in that kind of weather, you need to drop the intensity quite a bit. (Likely, drastically.) You'll also need to have constant water intake. With time, your body will acclimatize a bit to be able to give off heat a little better just through air conduction, but it will still be quite a bit harder on your abilities.

I personally feel running in heat & high humidity is not good for health.It sometimes leads to body weakness & unconsciousness of mind.....

Well, I've been running outdoors in the early AM since springtime and avoided the heat. It's been really humid though. We're going to be vacationing with a couple who are distance runners and none of us is going to be knocking ourselves out in Mexico.
And I must correct the misguided notion that running nude is hard on your balls. Men have been running nude, or close to it since we stood up and your testicles will be secured quite nicely when you run. I did an off-road 5K+ run in the spring that was one of the AANR "Nude racing series" and it was no big deal. None of the guys had sore balls. Pretty amazing to run through open pastures full of wildflowers, and snakes! Nobody got bitten either.

Alaska is just too cold

Back