running as an ectomprph

Hi

I recently (in my late 40s) discovered the joys of jogging/running. I feel that even my light runs (1km) still get the blood pumping.
However I am an ectomorph and despite being 6ft 2 I normally only weigh about 77kgs. Since I have started doing 3 runs a week (1.5km per run) I have lost a few kilos which i do not want to do.
Would it be better that i focus on sprinting or maybe hill/stair climbing/jogging instead so that i dont lose my muscle strenght or my much needed kilos ?
I already do bodyweight/dumbell training and spin bike. BUt i think the jogging is good for my overall fitness.
Does anyone have any views on this or advice?

Cheers

Mackabee

As an ectomorph there is only one way to combat the weight loss from running, eat more to compensate.
I am still running every week and trying to gain weight, so I am eating a crazy amount of food to achieve it. Trying to be more than 1.5 times my genetic weight means I have to be realistic in accepting this will be slow and require vast amounts of food. My unrealistic target was to do this and stay lean, not happening, I am having to accept some excess coming on with the muscle gains.
Variety in training is always good, so having some sprint sessions as part of your program will be good. Truth is though the gaining kilos will require a lot of mastication, you will have jaw muscles bigger than most peoples biceps but it will be worth it.

thanks crazyoldman

I have tried the eating extra - find it very difficult especially as i am on a low-colesterol diet.
would be easy to go out and fill up on pizza and big macs but extra helpings of nuts etc, soon fill you up.
i wont give up teh running though and i will try more sprints.
cheers

I find the only way to eat what I need is to browse throughout the day. I couldn't manage it in 3 meals or even the 5 I shifted to years ago.
Oats are good, high in high density cholesterol and energy, win, win all round!

i think the jogging is good for my overall fitness.

Back