ROM - is it all in my head?

I"m new to the forums.. I have very little (20% rotation) range of motion in my neck, even less with extension (15%).. some due to an 11 year old injury where I drove off a 40ft cliff. Also sparked by getting rear ended a few years ago really bad. In the past 2 years it has worsened. I've tried a number of chiros, get massaged regularly, have little discipline when it comes to daily stretching. W/o insurance, the chiros and acupuncture isn't an option, since it only helps if I go 3x/week for a few months before seeing results.

A doc mentioned MUA.. manipulation under anesthesia. scary! But after falling asleep on a plane last year, waking up with my head on my shoulder, I realized that it can move that far, if I am unconscious. Which leads me to believe that much of it is mental. That I am guarding because of the pain.

Just wanted to stir up some discussion on this topic and if anyone can relate to my problem. I have noticed since I began working out a few months ago, that I am getting more ROM.. one night I sat on my couch and turned my head around like an owl.. I think my mind was dedicated to making a change that night. Already I can see my blindspots and look into my back seat again, its been years. I nearly had a tear of excitement from that!

thanks
stiff in socal

im glad to hear about your improvement. ill keep this short n sweet. what you say is true, there is a mental componant involved, a lot of people with neck injuries have this. it's called 'defense muscles' weather it's conscious or not. in your case it's a sub-conscious thing, a fear of making the injury worse. everybody gets it, hell even i had it when i broke my shoulder. what you need to realise is that the rist of hurting your neck is minimal to none and that pain can be mental feeling rather then real (pain without damage)

as for the part of going to a chiro... i dont like them haha.. sure they can crack you blabla.. but i'd go to a physio.. a physical therapist has a lot more capabilities to treat you and you'll see better results

Consider that I am self employed and lacking in the insurance dept.. Cash patients get treated like crap from my experience. Yah they want your money, but they know you wont come pay cash 3x/week so they don't invest in your condition nor even seem to care about your well being. The reason I haven't gone to a PT is that they would give me a huge rubber band (which I have), a tension device(also have), and a list of crappy excersizes to do 3x/day (which i procrastinate).. so i end up spending a couple hundo a month in massages.. little japanese girls walking down my spine seems to work wonders on the tired soul. At least if my neck stays stiff, I'm feeling pampered in the meantime?

losing hope in los angeles

Back