Risks with using Ellipticals

Newbie with questions!

1-any health risks/adverse effects with using the elliptical trainers?

2- as very new newbie to working out, I recently bought a really cheap elliptical trainer at walmart - the body rider 1800 (as seen on tv) so far the workout is great, but the machine is so flimsy and noisy! is this normal?

i am considering getting an edge gazelle body glider instead - any thoughts comparing this machine to the body rider?

any help greatly appreciated!

I go to the gym all the time and that's all I use for my Cardio (elliptical). However, I think the ones they have there are quite expensive ... it's especially good because I have a torn PCL in my right knee, and the elliptical never bothers it. The only knock I have against these is that every company has a different type and the motion is always different ... takes a bit of getting used to each time ...
.. but the option to go backwards is kinda cool and trains the body a bit different.

I believe ellipticals are one of the safer exercises out there. I don't know that there are zero risks using them...but there is probably a bigger risk just sitting on a couch all the time (I'm not saying that's what you do).

I don't know much about the at home elliptical machines...but a lot of people who buy them end up using them as clothes hangers...so be sure to check the classifieds and ebay for deals. You don't want to over pay for your new sweater drying rack. :)

Back