Really need advice. 16 Year old. Slim Fast Plan

Hello. I am 16 years old and I want to lose some body fat. I am 5'8 and weigh 188 poounds. I look chubby, not fat, though I still want to get slimmer. I have been on the Slim-Fast diet for few days now. I have a shake for breakfast, lunch, and a salad for dinner ( lettuce, chicken, fat free vinegar dressing, and a boiled egg. ) I jog for 30minutes a day, no walking in between. I dont know if this is good, I hvae a weight lifting class in school. I am worried it is too low in protein, and worried that a protein shake is going to make me gain weight. Any suggestions please? I want to lose at least 20 lbs. I can continue the SLim fast, I am confident in that, but I am not sure if it is good. Sorry for the big jumbled paragraph heh. ThankS!

-EDIT-
I keep hearing it is too much sugar ( the shakes ) and I am not sure. I just want to lose weight, while gaining muscle, I dont know what plan ! Help !

i've never been a strong believer in thos slim-fast plans ... they don't really seem all that good for you for what they have in them AND what they don't.
However, it must work for some otherwise it wouldn't still be out there. Now matter what plan you are on, you have to be patient and strict ... no cheating. A 30 minute jog a day is a good start ... think about increasing the time about 5 minutes every couple weeks till you are at about an hour jog ... but, remember to take at least a day off. You can really do damage with too much too soon .. if you feel too sore, jump on a bike, or cut back the length ...

i dont believe in slim fast also. sugar, water and a little protein. slowly try to work your way into better food choices.

protein
chicken, turkey, fish, lean red meat, milk, cottage cheese, eggs

carbs
brown rice, sweet potatoes or yams, veggies, oats, fruits, whole grain breads, cereals and pastas

fats
flax seed, natty pb, oils, nuts

Hey guys. Thanks SOO much for the information, I'm completely clueless =( I've devised up a little plan:

6 Means (I herd that it is good.)

1-Bowl of Cereal

2-6... Iunno what to eat, please tell me. I hvae turkey slices ( 45 calories, 1 g of fat each, 10g of protein each!) Swiss cheese, dont know nutrients on top of my head, but it has 8g each, and whole wheat bread, one with best nutrition I could find. Also have some salad and chicken. Please devise up a plan for me, I am strict, I WILL Do it!

185lbs 5'8 at age 16!

Ive done some math, with this diet i will get around
40 / 35 / 25 percent of protein carb fat, on a 1600-700'ish caloric diet.

Breakfast - Scrambled Eggs / Toast with a LITTLE peanut butter ( canola oil, did not have olive on first day but will buy.)

Lunch - A sandwhich ( orowheat bread, 2 slices of turkey, 2 slices of swiss cheese, very thin spread mayo )

Dinner - Salad with chicken, fat free vinegar dressing

A Protein shake in between depending on when I work out that day. And fruits as snacks. Can someone tell me is ther a specificly GOOD time to work out and run??? I usually jog for 25-30 minutes. THANKS!

to give you an idea, this is a rough example of what i eat

meal 1
homemade shake (oats, egg protein, liquid egg whites, flax oil)

meal 2
tuna/banana/fiber one cereal

meal 3
meat (chicken or fish or turkey or lean red meat)/brown rice

meal 4
kinda sorta like meal 2

meal 5
kinda sorta like meal 3

meal 6
cottage cheese/natty pb/milk

i wake up at 4am and lift weights or do cardio then have a shake afterwards before my first meal. this diet stays pretty constant with just slight changes when i'm trying to gain muscle or trying to lose bodyfat.

Wow 4am? Heh I still have school unfortunately. Also - I dont think I have time to prepare those type of meals, do you think mines is ok? If not is there a better plan ( not better, I mean easier to prepare plan for a teen ) ? Should I run before or after lunch ?? Thanks for great info =) Losing weight and watching nutrition has become a hobby =)

how easy do you need it to be? i open a can of tuna and i peel a banana. no refrigeration, no warming with a microwave.

stuff like pop top tuna, fruits, nuts, beef jerky, whole grain breads and cereals dont need any preparation time.

can you bring an insultated bag with a couple of ice packs to school to keep food cold? then you include stuff like cottage cheese, eggs or cold sandwiches.

ppl even grind up some oats and put them in a shaker cup with some protein powder then just add water, shake and drink.

before or after lunch whichever is better for you.

hey I see where you are coming from, I used to think the same way, my name is dustin, I am also 16, weight 175 lbs, and bench press 270lbs. I have been weight training for about 4 years now, and when I used to weight 200lbs. I am only 5-5. in seventh grade I hit 225, eight I got 240, 9nth I got 260 and now in tenth I am at 270, and can still do it after loosing weight, what I did might not work the same for you, but you want to avoid running at all costs if you are trying to maintain muscle mass so when you do loose the weight you will look really good. I used a stationary bicycle, bike 6 miles a day, and try to do it as fast as possible, do this for about 2-3 months and eat regular alot of protien, and lift weights on the side to if you are able to, you will loose weight in no time and still gain mass, but its different mass, MUSCLE MASS

Here is some different advice for cardio. Rather than do 30 minutes straight, you can break up your activity with short bursts. Ie 10 minutes in the morning and 10 in the afternoon or evening.

Oftentimes its better and more doable, plus you don't feel as drained or beat up as you would performing 30minutes to an hour.

Back