raw foods diet

Kadie

Hi! I don't know if there is already a thread about this but I haven't been able to find one. Has anyone tried the raw foods diet? It seems perfect for me but I'm afraid it may not be healthy/doesn't work. If anyone has experience, please let me know!

I heard it works really well, but I think it's more of a short-term diet. I also don't know if you gain the weight back or not.. it seems to me you would.

Kadie, there's a diary, who's author escapes me, is doing the raw food diet - well sort of -he uses weed as one of his forms of nourishment but it's legal where he is... just not so sure that's really raw :D

do a search in there and see if that gives you any answers...

The sex and the city episode where they were at the Raw restaurant - the food wasn't really all that appealing looking :)

thanks :) I'm a vegetarian so I don't mind strange foods lol. I would like to give it a try soon until convention for CKI (August 12) and then gradually work in other foods. We'll see.

I eat about 70% raw foods where I can. i have a family to cater for so sometimes it can be a little tricky too.

I mainly have heaps of raw vege salads. The salads I make have so many raw veges in them, are interesting and filling. As I said, only about 70% raw, I include nuts, beans, my own chicken eggs and fish sometimes. And if there is no other option but red meat, I'll have some. I just take it as it comes.

I'm not strict with myself. I eat this way for optimum health and because it makes me feel great and look younger.

If you want to stay healthy on this diet, just like any diet it will take some planning. But it is great once you get into it. Especially if you grow your own veges.

I have had two children and eaten like this before, after, during pregnancy and breast feeding. I have always had excellent results.

However I did not go raw straight away, I gradually started replacing parts of my meals as raw years ago.

Last edited:
100% raw doesn't work for me. When I did try it (for health reasons) I got really cold (it was August). Me and my co-worker were doing a detox for 4 weeks and we were sitting with our sweaters on.

So my diet is now about 60% raw.

Raw definitely isn't a short term thing. There are plenty of people who eat 100% raw for years and years, have fantastic bodies and a new "zest" for life. I'm not 100%, probably around 90%-95%. It has basically changed my life. I have never felt this amazing, ever. Even after I had just lost 80 lbs. I have definitely found a lifestyle that works for me! :)

Hey Busy91, the reason you might have been cold is because you became anemic...happened to me too...you would have just needed to have eaten more iron...its in some veggies

Raw foods are loaded with all the vital nutrients the human body requires to grow and maintain health. Once raw food is heated above a certain temperature, the food is considered cooked and the enzymes - the catalysts of all reactions in the body, and all foods contain naturally occurring enzymes - are destroyed. According to Reinfeld, 116F is the maximum threshold for enzyme activity in the food. Soups and dishes heated until just warm to the touch and foods dehydrated at temperatures lower than this are still considered raw foods. Raw foods also have a high water content compared to cooked foods, which is helpful “in maintaining hydration and ensuring you actually get all the water soluble nutrients the plant foods provides,” says Reinfeld.
How to Eat Raw Foods?

Eating raw does not mean living on carrots sticks and salads. The raw food diet is often vegan and its typical ingredients are fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds, grains such as wheat, rye, quinoa and buckwheat. People on the raw food diet often use tools such as blenders, juicers, food processors, and dehydrators. The main cooking techniques include juicing, marinating, dehydrating, culturing and so on. For example, some grains require sprouting or overnight soaking to become easily digestible.

Things to Consider about the Raw Food Diet

Most fruits and vegetables can be edible in their raw state, but some foods can be potentially toxic. For instance, avoid eating raw taro, rhubarb, and cassava because of the toxins present in their raw forms and potatoes that have turned green contain the toxin solanine. People should be aware that certain nutritional deficiencies such as calcium, iron, B12, and protein may occur on the raw food diet.

Honestly I just do a 5 day raw food detox about once every three months. The first three days are evil but the last are fine and you feel amazing. And it kick starts healthy snacking so if you have been slipping up more and more on that this is a good way to reboot your snacking system. Or maybe defrag is more appropriate. I know people however that do a raw food diet all the time. There are a lot of recipes out there for meals that are raw that would surprise you! You do not have to be stuck to salad. I had a "pizza" during my last round.

Good luck!

I went about 70% raw three weeks ago and I don't think I'll be going back. I feel really good and have lost 11.5lbs. Start off simple, there are a few recipe books that have an emphasis on simple recipes that dont involve peculiar ingredients you never heard of or two hours of preparation. My lunch and dinner are raw food recipes, but I eat Bran with rice milk in the morning, and fish a few times a week. I have alot of weight to lose, it seems to me that this is the way to go for me, I've never felt better and after a few days of initial cravings, my desire to eat bread, biscuits, and all those things I ate excessively has been killed stone dead. I've struggled with this all of my life, and now I just don't. I am very impressed with the raw food diet so far.

Last edited:
Goddess are you going to keep a food diary. It would be interesting to read. I'm not considering doing this diet but i lived with a woman who did it once. She seemed to be constantly eating. I don't suppose that's too much of a problem if its just vegetables. I think you have to eat a lot of vegetables if that's all you are eating.

It's not something I'm willing to try myself, but I saw some videos on youtube by a popular user called C0nc0rdance who's some sort of scientist who spoke about it. He's a skeptic (so you may find him a bit strident- but that's my style).

Basic points from the two videos (called "Raw Food" and "Raw Food Part 2"), rather than linking them (please note that I'm trying to give you the key points, I just think he's a good video maker and seems to know what he's talking about, I don't know anything about this stuff):

~~~

1. Many of us eat far too much meat and not nearly enough vegetables and fruit. There's no doubt that diet has a profound impact on many health conditions and the health of people's children. There's lots of encouragement to eat better out there, but a lot of us make really bad choices.
2. Although most of us should change our diet, we don't have to be extreme about it. "It's possible to eat a hamburger every once in awhile and not drop dead at 40" (or vegetarian alternative- he doesn't say that, I am). We don't have to eat a raw food diet to be healthy.
3. Raw foodism takes a good idea- high nutrient, low calorie content foods- and can take it to a ridiculous extreme.
4. Raw foodism can cause health problems (including dental decay).
5. While some nutrients are destroyed during cooking, some are increased. A raw food diet (70% or more raw) is typically deficient in vitamin D, calcium, some types of vitamin B, iron, zinc, protein, and calories. Low density foods require a larger amount be consumed for the same amount of nutrition- cooking removes water and bulk. This can good for weight reduction. Some nutrients are also not available without cooking. It's difficult to get the right amount of nutrients from a raw diet (although it can be done). The idea that fibre is lost during cooking is false.
6. The enzymes in raw food, which might be destroyed by cooking, are also destroyed by our digestive process.
7. Cooking foods (esp. to high temperatures) can produce toxins and carcinogens, as claimed by some raw food advocates, but the way they're cooked makes a difference, and making smart choices about how you cook can minimise/ reduce that risk.
8. It's perfectly possible to live well/ be well without an -ism.

Video 2 (health risks/ benefits):
Potential health risks of raw food dieting:
1. Tooth decay (particularly over long term- compared to people not on raw food diets). This could be because of the high acid content of some things in a raw food diet, like orange juice, or the roughage and bulk of the food accelerates tooth decay. It's also possible that people on a vegan raw food diet have calcium deficiency.
2. Low weight. A low calorie high bulk diet might be a good way to lose weight. If you're already a healthy weight, it might be difficult to eat sufficient calories. The longer someone's on a raw food diet (and the higher percentage raw), the more likely someone is to be underweight.
3. Amenorrhea (correlated with percentage raw and duration of diet)
4. Nutrient defiency- vegan raw foodists need to supplement heavily, especially B12, iron, zinc, selenium, and vitamin D. This will be challenging, especially with high quality protein. He advises that any percent of diet that isn't raw should be lean meat or cooked beans to help overcome this.
5. Bone loss. Long term implications aren't clear
6/7/8- bloating, nausea, vomiting. Body has difficulty adjusting to all the fibre (he shows examples from raw food websites where new users feel terrible)
9. Infection/ poisoning. Cooking kills things (bacteria, viruses, and reduces amount of pesticides on vegetables), and home made fermented foods carry a risk of botulism. This isn't a big risk, but it's there. (We process foods to make them safer)

Benefits (although these are largely the same as any vegan diet):
1. Decreased cholesterol (increased fruit and vegetable consumption is protective for heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and cancer- even just a single extra serving)- but both HDL and LDL. This benefit is outweighed if B12 is deficient (a related problem and apparently quite common).
2. Decreased inflammation. Cooked foods are more likely to stimulate the immune system and cause inflammation. This should be good for arthritis and fybromyalgia.
3. Probiotics. Eating foods fermented with lactobacillus allow for the colonisation of the gut which aids digestion and decreases colon cancer risk. (This is only true when you're eating lactobacillus- flora convert fairly quickly)
4. Weight loss (benefit and risk). Could be a fast way to drop a lot of weight while feeling quite full.
5. Low sodium. Usually doesn't include added salt with processing. (He thinks a benefit of raw vegan over cooked vegan diets, but doesn't have any citations)
6. (According to one study) Increased antioxidants- although this may be from omnivore/ vegan rather than raw/ not raw.

Back to discomfort (6/7/8 under risks)- it's hard to keep people on this diet if it really is as uncomfortable as people say. It's not a useful diet if you can't stay on it.

Talk to your doctor before starting on this diet, rather than relying on the sheer amount of bad information on the internet.

There are risks with any diet.

~~~

Back to me. I just thought this would be useful for anyone thinking about this diet, I certainly found it informative when I watched it. Not trying to talk anyone out of anything- I agree with the videographer that you should be able to do what you want with your health but it's important to have good information before you do it.

I did a raw foods diet and it made me feel great for a little white, but its hard for other people to feed you if you go to theirs for supper.

I think it gave me a lot more energy.

I have found that a 60-70 raw diet is about as much as I can handle. I focus more on making sure almost all of the foods that I am eating are unprocessed. Leaves me with a few more options :)

Back