Sport Quick question about nutrition

Sport Fitness
K I just realized the first time I posted this it wsa in the wrong section. Anyways I'm a sing and need to get back in shape. Last winter I did pretty good with just bodyweight excercises, it helped with the breath and energy, and I gained some muscle too. But I didnt keep a journal or trakc what I ate, so now Im lost again since I didnt workout for awhile. I workout 3 times a week. just pushups,crunches,squats, pullups, and calf rasies. the other days I do some sort of cardio like sports or running. I just need to know what I should be eating. I feel like I'm undereating in a way, I'm 170 pounds if that helps.

A good diet is all individual. What might work for you may not work for someone else. One of the guidlines you should follow is a Protein + Low Glycemic Carb meal and a Protein + Healthy Fats meal. Alternate between the meals. You're post workout meal should be consumed right after your workout and that should be a Protein + HIGH glycemic meal. This meal should be high glycemic because protein uptake is greatly increased when combined with high glycemic carbs are taken at the same time. Right after your workout is when you're muscles are the most ready they will be through out the day to take protein.

Foods your should ingest are:

Protein:
Chicken
Eggs
Lean Beef
Buffalo
Salmon
Tuna
Other Fish

Fats:
Plain Nuts
Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
Olive Oil
Flax Seed
Fish Oil
(For the healthy oil fats there is an oil blend on the market that combines all of them together and tastes pretty good. I use it as a salad oil along with vinager. Its called Udo's Choice Oil Blend)

Carbs:
Veggies
Oatmeal
Multigrain Bread (without High Fructose Corn Syrup)
Fruit (low glycemic ones)
Mixed beans

Drinks:
Water
Grean Tea (not from a bottle but a tea bag)
Crystal Light Mix (if you must add some flavor)

Get a Multi-Vitamin!!!!! This should be a staple for the rest of your life. A good one is Natrol's My Favorite Multiple.

To maintain the lean body mass (LBM) you have right now protein intake should be 1-1.5 grams per lean body weight. If you would like to gain LBM increase it to between 1.5-2 grams per body weight.

Keep a food log. This is essential for you to fine tune your diet to what works best for you. After each week evaluate how you feel and see if you look different. If you feel great then keep it up. If you feel like you don't have enough energy every day, increase carbs slightly.

about 6 meals a day, roughly every 3 hours. good choices include but are not limited to:

protein
chicken, turkey, fish, lean red meat, cottage cheese, eggs, milk, jerky

carbs
sweet potatoes or yams, oats, whole wheat bread, cereals and pasta, fruits, veggies, beans, brown rice

fats
oils, nuts

Back