Question regarding push-ups

Hi,

First off id like to apologize if im posting under the wrong category. But i just have a simple question regarding push-ups. For about a 2-3 months now ive been doing as many push-ups a night as i possibly can to the point where i cant do it anymore. Then i wait say 90 seconds and do a second set. My question is that i havent been able to make it past 23 for quite awhile and im concerned that maybe its just not possible given my body structure. I have progressed from 10 to 15 to 20...now 23 and no matter how hard i try im exausted and fail to make it past 23. Is this a common problem? Because to me logic would dictate that if your doing it every night you should be able to keep progressing and be able to do more each time?

Its of any value, im 21 and trying to build up for when i join the air force.

I can only do 5 at a time...sad

While push ups are a great quick workout you need to put some variety into your push-up program in order to grow the various parts of your muscles.

Try switching up and doing some with your hands out farther and then with your hands in closer forming a triangle with your hands below your chest. Additionally, try testing your endurance a bit by doing some holds. During your push up motion stop at the half way point and hold. Don't come back up until you want to die... This will build endurance and give your workout some variety.

In the end, just keep working on it... with everything, time...

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The part about forming a triangle with your hands is an extremly helpful tip, all this time ive had both hands straight which has been causing a bit of pain in my wrists. This makes a world of difference, at least to me. Ill keep in mind the endurance bit and will work on it. Once again i really appreciate your input, you have been a great help.

Thanks again.

-joe

take a look here:
http://training.fitness.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=806
i've just finished this regime. At the beginning I could hardly do the first set and now i have no problem with the last. The trick is to not stop at where you feel your gonna die and do one or two more. I was even dropping down to my knees to push out the last couple, when I needed to. To reach a goal, u must first exceed it.

Excellent, thanks!

[EDIT]: Just for clarification, pulls ups are when your hands are away from you on the bar right? I do about 20 pull-ups a day but with my hands towards me...am i doing them wrong?

Last edited:
Holy crap! Just got done with my first day on your week #1. I could barely get through it. And right now im totally exhasted. What a great workout! I can see i havent been doing them enough.

Also how many days a week is that program?

Back