Question about toning in general

I'm 6'4" and about 210lbs, I've always been physically active in sports, but never into the whole weight training/body building style stuff. One thing I have noticed though is that with just normal exercise I have never been able to achieve a toned body or any sort of muscle definition.

For instance, I did competetive swimming for 6 years and I didn't achieve anything of the sort. More recently, I did very competetive crew (rowing) and we were doing between 20km to 40km of rowing (on the water and on ergs) 5 days a week for several years, year-round, as well as other exercises of course. I was in the top varsity boat and yet I still was never able to achieve any sort of muscle definition/tone.

It must be noted though that while I was physically active, I never went to the gym for weight training/muscle building. I was expecting my daily workouts to lean out my body a bit but it never did.

Have I doing something wrong this entire time? Especially after I started crew I have been very conscious of what I eat. No fast food, low oil/grease, high protein and high carb. I have a salad for lunch and dinner every day as well.

Also, another thing I would like to mention, I was pretty much the only person in our top varsity boat that didn't look "built", yet I was still the 2nd fastest person in the boathouse. I've always been a person for rowing with technique, but I don't think even that would account for the difference in muscle tone that the rest of the team was able to achieve.

Any ideas?

Diet.

Toning is basically increased definition through loss of body fat. Since you were physically active, we turn to your diet and nutrition.

Back