Practive pilates daily??

hi there, i'm new to the forum ... can't wait to explore all the threads!! :D
anyway, i was wondering if anyone knows if there's any danger/risk to practicing pilates daily?
i work out daily - usually cardio and weight lifting. but lately i've been really liking the "feel" of pilates classes at my health club. the classes are an hour long, and i've been practicing at an advanced level for a while.
so am i working the same muscle groups two days in a row if i take pilates two days in a row?? is that bad?

thanks for your help!

You'll need time to recover between sessions, that's why you shouldn't do Pilates 2 days in a row. In fact, if you can do it that often, you're probably doing it wrong. Also, you get the most benefit if you alternate with cardio like you seem to be doing. I like doing Pilates 2 times a week, but 3 would probably be ok. The biggest risk would be causing injury to your muscles, in particular your abs.

Practice Pilates Daily

My answer as a certified Pilates instructor:

As long as you are doing the exercises with proper form and you are listening to your body, there is no reason why you should not be able to take Pilates each day. Pilates exercises are primarily focused on the core (abs, glutes, and back). Although, it is advisable to allow a day off for recovery of other major muscles (i.e. quads, hamstrings), the abs can be worked two days in a row. I practice Pilates on Mon, Wed, Thu & Fri; and I am pretty sure I am doing it right. ;)

If you are not comfortable with the answers here, ask a professional at the gym; :confused: you may have conditions that I do not know about or the class may have elements (such as weights) that would change my answer.

Best of luck!

laura said:
My answer as a certified Pilates instructor:

As long as you are doing the exercises with proper form and you are listening to your body, there is no reason why you should not be able to take Pilates each day. Pilates exercises are primarily focused on the core (abs, glutes, and back). Although, it is advisable to allow a day off for recovery of other major muscles (i.e. quads, hamstrings), the abs can be worked two days in a row. I practice Pilates on Mon, Wed, Thu & Fri; and I am pretty sure I am doing it right. ;)

If you are not comfortable with the answers here, ask a professional at the gym; :confused: you may have conditions that I do not know about or the class may have elements (such as weights) that would change my answer.

Best of luck!

I do it everyday, yes it feel sore, but it get easier. I love doing it so far. I just hope i dont get lazy.

I do pilates every single day, but my workout varies. I do an hour ever day, but each day I am focusing on a different muscle group, which allows my other muscles to relax and not be too overworked.
I agree with Laura, listen to your body. Pilates, to many people, is a lot more than just exercise. Some of us use it for it's calming attributes. If it helps you keep a healthy mind as well as a healthy body, then keep up the hard work! :)

Couldn´t agree more with Laura ...

Pilates is not about working pieces and parts ...

"Contrology develops the body uniformly"

you need uniform usage to get uniform development.

You can do it at least 6 days a wk. You are not breaking down muscle a la bodybuilding so theres nothing to worry about

Back