Cohen's Lifestyle Plateau

Prefix for Cohen's Lifestyle
Status
Not open for further replies.

caet

I know I shouldn't weigh every day, but its a cheat that doesnt actually affect my diet unless I cave in to the feelings that a plateau can cause.

Bu I do it because we apparently loose weight in a 4 week cycle (which is why we are only supposed to weigh monthly) and I'm interested to understand how that works or looks for me.

I generally loose between 200 and 400g a day, but on average I plateau every 16 days for 6-9 days. I'm 5 days into one at the moment :(

The first times I plateaued coincided with stuff which caused me to deviate (like going away gliding with friends who have wine and nibbles in the afternoon)

But graphing it has allowed me to see what is happening and when, and the affects of deviating, which is providing more motivation to stay on the straight and narrow. (must be the engineer in me)

I'm currently 74.8 kg - started at 88. Goal is 54-57. My husband was so impressed, he's joined me. He's gone from 97 to 91 in 2 weeks. Goal is 81-84.

So does anyone else weigh often? What do you see? Does anyone else plateau? I started on thr 28/9 and have only deviated once at that camp. Each time took a week - 9 days to recover. I hate the plateaus because the effect is the same as deviating for me even though I haven't. The camp was a week so the plateau was 14 days.

-Caet

I have experienced plateaus too especially when I need to lose from126 kg to 64 kg. But if we keep on persevering, the kgs will come off eventually, especially faster when you are beginning on this program.

For me, I'm onto losing the last few kgs and these last few kgs are taking a loong long time to come off. I'm onto Day 10 of no deviation and I only lost 600g. How about that? But I'm trying not to let that discourage me but to pesevere on.

Keep going and don't look at the scales too much! Focus on keeping to the Cohen meals. =)

G'Dau

I weighed every day and kept an Excel spreadsheet.

I did this because I was very interested in the mechanics of the program.

The general pattern was no loss for three days, then a drop.

Shrinkage occured each week, and varied between 5cms and 10cms each week.

I had three separate 'celebration' meals during the twenty weeks and each of those three weeks did not lose any weight. I didn't really enjoy the meals but did them anyway.

I think it's a matter of temperament whether you weigh or not. The clothes and look of the body tell the story, anyway. I was fascinated how the belly bag shrank and shrank until it dissapeared, leaving a smooth and rounded belly with no stretch marks.

Personally, I couldn't wait to record the tally each day, it was the first thing I did each morning - weigh myself then rush downstairs to make the entry into the spreadsheet. I started the day gloating even when there was no loss to record - I could see all the other losses and knew that I was only a day or so away from the next loss.

So don't be discouraged, the body is busy doing it's work and meantime you are continuing to shrink.

Cheers

Chelsea

Hi BY

No, no stretch marks, but by the time I went on this program I really felt as if I had 'filled my skin' and I couldn't have fitted any more 'me' inside me!

So I sort-of expected to have saggy skin and /or stretch marks, considering the crease under the belly before I started. If I was wearing old knickers they would end up wedged under the overhanging belly!

To have this girlish figure is astounding to me - I am in better shape than I was 30 years ago, and I have had three large babies - 8lb7ozs, 9lb9ozs and 9lb7ozs (they always sound bigger in Imperial!).

When I stand with my ankles together and my toes pointing outwards, my knees touch but there is a gap between my thighs. Considering I used to wear out the inner thighs of all my jeans and pants from my legs rubbing together, think how much healthier this is for my hip joints, let alone my wardrobe!

I just love being 60 kilos, and wearing size 8 - 10!!!!

Yes, it's five months now, but the novelty has not worn off. With Christmas functions I am seeing people I haven't seen since Christmas 2005 and I am trying to look my best as I know the impact will be gratifying to me - showing up looking slim, in trim clothes, looking about 10 years younger!

The only downside to all of this is that I really, really, notice obesity now. Boy! Are we becoming a Nation of overweight, obese people! I want to run up to people and tell them about Cohens, but I know they would look at me and not realise how much weight I have lost, and therefore am speaking from experience.

Of course, I don't want to hurt any feelings or give offense, so I just focus on me and how good I feel and how much fun it is to wear stilleto heels and to clack, clack, clack my way along and know that even from behind, I look pretty damn good!

Keep up the good work everybody: It is just such fun, being slim!

Cheers

Chelsea

I'm now up to the 9th day with no weigh shift. And no cheats or deviations. Very depressing :(

-Caet

Caet

If you need to chart your progress to keep yourself motivated, why not measure yourself - you may find that your body is busy shrinking rather than shedding!

Looking at my spreadsheet, there were a number of times that no weight loss occured for more than seven days - the longest stretch was nine days, but over that fortnight (14 days) I actually lost 2.5 kilos, so the body was working very hard.

If you insist on weighing every day then you must do so in a scientific manner, not an emotional manner.

You are not being 'rewarded' for good behaviour, your body has no emotion or judgement in this. It is beavering away, processing fat stored in fat cells, just think how much fat has to be metabolised to register on the scales.

In my case, that's 2.5 kilos - 2.5 kilos of fat!!!!

Put 2.5 kilos of something - a jug of water, a slab of meat - on the kitchen bench and stand back and look at it.

So in 14 days, despite 9 days of weighing exactly the same, my body was consuming 2.5 kilos of fat.

How can that not be amazing! When I woke up on the 10th day, I was .75 kilos down, and dropped every day for the rest of the fortnight.

Caet, give your body a chance to do what it is meant to be doing without interfering with the poor thing! If you must weigh, do so without judgement.

We approach this program the same way we approach everything in our lives.

I am always prepared to put in the hard yards, but people tell me that I am 'lucky'. The harder I work, the luckier I seem to get.

I am a 'deferred gratification' type of person. I save for things, I work on long term projects, I prepare for success.

If you give two children a Mars Bar each, one will rip the wrapper off and gobble it down straight away. The other child will put their Mars Bar away until later. But when the second child produces their Mars Bar to eat slowly while watching the TV later that day, the first child will burst into tears 'Wah! Wah! Where's my Mars Bar! How come he's got a Mars Bar and I haven't! Wah! Wah!'

I have always been inclined to eat my Mars Bar when I am ready to eat it - usually later! If you are an 'eat it now' type of person you will have difficulty, not just with Cohen's, but with everything in life which requires work, patience, and time.

Investing, gardening, raising children, building a relationship, losing weight.

Think about this. I don't know you, I am inviting you to consider this, not judging you to be one way or the other, and there is no particular merit in being a 'now' or 'later' person, except that 'later' people are more inclined to ride over the day to day bumps because the goal is worth the effort.

Stick with the program, stop weighing yourself every day, you are cheating yourself of the pride in your own progress and creating your own discontent.

You cannot imagine what being slim feels like. Well, let me tell you being slim rocks!

Nothing tastes as good, nothing feels as good, as being slim feels.

Keep with it, weigh and measure yourself on Saturday mornings only, keep with the program, and you will be slim before you know it!

Cheers

Chelsea

I'm now up to the 9th day with no weigh shift. And no cheats or deviations. Very depressing :(

-Caet

Whilst I agree with Chelsea very much, I just want to say that Cohen diet works and works well you simply are not eating enough foods for your body NOT to be gobbling up fat. It is impossible to eat the Cohen diet and not lose body fat.

Remember the goal is not "losing weight", your real goal is to lose body fat. Losing weight is an effect of reducing your body fat. Particularly on a day-2-day week-2-week level your weight is not going to be a true indication of your body fat reduction. Every day that you are eating Cohen food your body will consume some of your body fat.

When I started the diet I lost almost like clockwork 300grams per day, but now I really experiencing the plateau, quick 2 day drop, plateau, normally over a week cycle. Anyway on Monday morning I was 400grams heavier than I was on Sunday morning, why? I have no idea why, water, poop....doesnt matter, I do know that I would have lost body fat because I ate 3 Cohen meals on Sunday.

Last edited:
Don't give up!

-Caet

Don't give up Caet! In fact, if weighing yourself gets you depressed, try to weigh yourself in a week's time or in a fortnight's time. But as what the others have said, you will need to prepare yourself mentally that you do not need to neccessarily lose weight all the time. Your body shape could be adjusting too!

For example, I noticed that my body is getting smaller but there is no drastic change in my weight loss. The trick is to keep going and you will definitely see results one day. It's quite funny how Cohen works. You may lose a few grams in a week but in the following week, you will lose 2 kg! For example, I lose 3 kg in 1 week sometime back but for the next 2 weeks, I only lost some grams... It gets a bit depressing for me but the whole trick is to keep your spirits high, sleep well and do not deviate.

I made a mistake once... I was depressed at my not losing weight for a couple of weeks and I actually deviated by eating chips, chocolates, desserts. Though I did not do it all the time, I had the mindset of "Gosh... I've not lost any weight. What the heck... eat!" But the thing is, once you deviate, you will find it harder to resist temptations. So pls do not go into emotional eating yah?

My weight loss is slowing down too... Can you imagine 1 year 2 weeks into the Cohen program? I was sick of eating Cohen foods and playing mind games to be disciplined and determined. But I'm telling myself to keep going for the last 5 kg. I don't know how long it will take but I'm going to try. And I'm staying off the weighing scales till Sat.

In the meantime, cos I'm now below 70kg, I'm treating myself to a movie that I've not watched for some time!

So... just don't give up. Once you get what you want, the reward seems so much sweeter. =)

Caet

If you give two children a Mars Bar each, one will rip the wrapper off and gobble it down straight away. The other child will put their Mars Bar away until later. But when the second child produces their Mars Bar to eat slowly while watching the TV later that day, the first child will burst into tears 'Wah! Wah! Where's my Mars Bar! How come he's got a Mars Bar and I haven't! Wah! Wah!'

I have always been inclined to eat my Mars Bar when I am ready to eat it - usually later! If you are an 'eat it now' type of person you will have difficulty, not just with Cohen's, but with everything in life which requires work, patience, and time.

Chelsea

Hey Chelsea,

just wanted to tell you that all the talk about Mars bar is tempting me! Especially now is the Christmas season, I'm thinking about chocolates!

You know what, I actually dreamt about tiramisu last night. Hee hee...

Weight Plateau is not a very big issue but it is important that you understand what is it, weight plateau means you stop losing your weight, for this, you just need to do some changes like you have to change your diet within the interval of 15 days. I personally believe that diet+exercise are equally important and a portion of your size. If you do take 400gm of food take 300gm instead of that, it will help you to lose weight in 15 days. we can also use apple cider vinegar for weight loss, this work like magic on your body we can consume apple cider vinegar daily for weight loss. Spam link removed also help us to lose weight, consuming amino acids during a workout helps with maintaining your muscle mass in addition to losing fat. foods like meat, poultry, fish, dairy, soy, legumes, buckwheat, quinoa, etc.; or, even though dietary supplements help us for weight loss. If you are on a weight loss journey you have to be very particular about your diet.

Last edited by a moderator:
apple cider vinegar for weight loss, this work like magic on your body we can consume apple cider vinegar daily for weight loss.

This is a load of rubbish and misinformation on a very old thread, closing the thread now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back