Oswin Rodrigues' Journal

11:05 P.M.

I have completed designing my workout. I plan to start tomorrow morning. I don't have a specific diet program - guess I'll just stay away from junk food, drink lots of water and eat whatever else i get :p If you guys can help me out by suggesting easily accessible healthy food, that'd be great.

Anyways, here's my program:

Warm Up (general - for all days):
5 Minute Run
Jump Rope – Three 1-minute Intervals
Stretching
Core (Planks)

Upper (Day 1):
Barbell curl (5 sets of 8)
Alternate Hammer Curl (5 sets of 8)
Preacher Curls (5 sets of 8)
Bench Dips (4 sets of 20)
Behind Back Triceps Extension (5 sets of 8)
Push-Ups (4 sets of 10)
Palms-Down Wrist Curls (5 sets of 8)
Palms-Up Wrist Curls (5 sets of 8)
Reverse Barbell Curls (5 sets of 8)
Floor Flies (light weight) (5 sets of 8)

Lower (Day 2):
Back Squat (with dumbbells) (5 sets of 8)
Barbell/Dumbbell Lunges (4 sets of 8)
Calf Raise (seated with barbell on knees) (5 sets of 8)
Deadlift / Single Leg Deadlift (5 sets of 8)
Ham Curls (5 sets of 8)
Speed Rope (2 minutes)
Side-Side Box Jumps (4 sets of 8)
Lunge Jumps (4 sets of 8-10)

Abs (adopted from 'P90X Ab Ripper X') (Day 3):
In and Outs
Bicycles (not crunches)
Reverse Bicycles
Crunchy Frog
Cross-legged/Wide-legged Sit Ups
Fifer Scissors
Hip Rock and Raise
Heels to the Heavens
Roll Up Combos
Oblique V-Ups (Right and Left)
Leg Climbs
Mason Twists

And then, I'll continue this cycle every day.

now the general rule is that one should work out only 3-4 days a week.. however in this plan, i basically am working out each part (upper, lower and abs) only twice a week... moreover, i get recovery for one part even when working out on other parts... for eg, when i work out my lower body, i get recovery for my upper body..

Ok I've change my mind. I'm going to incorporate some ab exercises into my lower body workout. That way i don't need a day only for abs. So here is my schedule:
Upper
Lower
Off
Upper
Lower
Off
Off

You can workout every day. I do that and I know many coaches that do that too. Don't even worry about it. Just make sure to not overcommit and become bored :)

you are doing to much isolation exercises, you need to start doing more compound exercises such as, hang cleans, hang snatch.

Warm Up:

5 Minute Run
Jump Rope – Three 30-second Intervals
Stretching
Core (Planks)

Upper:

Barbell curl (5 sets of 8)
Preacher Curls (5 sets of 8)
Bench Dips (4 sets of 25)
Push-Ups (4 sets of 10)
Palms-Down Wrist Curls (5 sets of 8)
Palms-Up Wrist Curls (5 sets of 8)

Lower:

Back Squat (with dumbbells) (5 sets of 8)
Calf Raise (weighted) (5 sets of 8)
Romanian Deadlift (5 sets of 8)
Side-Side Box Jumps (4 sets of 8)
And a few ab exercises.

Schedule:

Saturday Upper
Sunday Lower
Monday Off
Tuesday Upper
Wednesday Lower
Thursday Off
Friday Off

The above is my new modified workout.
Also I need to ask if you guys think that I should stretch even on off days :S

you are doing to much isolation exercises, you need to start doing more compound exercises such as, hang cleans, hang snatch.

this is the case ONLY for my upper body routine, correct? my lower body routine has enough compound exercises (squats and deadlifts) right?

Are you seeing any results from your program? I might have to copy it :p

Although, I don't have access to a gym, or any major equipment. I have to think of unconventional ways to exercise

Are you seeing any results from your program? I might have to copy it :p

Hey I really would wish I could answer you but I am getting so many controversial reviews about this routine that i constantly tend to change it..
so far i havent been doing my workouts properly because of this :(

Ya, you lower body has a decent amount of compound lifts.

What I would like to see you work in was something like this.

3 days a week you work lower and upper body.

You warm up is fine for now.

Focus lifts,
3 olympic lifts.

then work in some other supplemental leg exercises, such as lunges, high-box step up, bulgarian split squats, isometric lunges..etc

After that you can do some upper body work; bench press, curls, bent over row, pulls ups, push ups,

Then work your core.

This should all be done in one day.

Let me know if you have any questions on this

^ Why should he do the O-lifts? For the record, I'm not anti-O-lifts - I do power cleans every other session - but the O-lifts aren't exactly necessary, especially when no clear goal has been mentioned.

^ Why should he do the O-lifts? For the record, I'm not anti-O-lifts - I do power cleans every other session - but the O-lifts aren't exactly necessary, especially when no clear goal has been mentioned.

Why does he need a goal to do olympic lifts? Why exercise at all then if he has no goals.

Olympic lifts have many benefits.

Why does he need a goal to do olympic lifts? Why exercise at all then if he has no goals.

Olympic lifts have many benefits.

Sure, they're great things to learn. They're also amongst the most complicated exercises in the gym, the learning curve is steep, and without good coaching there's about a hundred things you could learn severely wrong in each of the lifts, which become much harder to correct/unlearn. If he wants to learn them, he should learn them. If he wants epic strength and/or explosiveness, he should learn them. If he has any sport-specific reason to learn them, he should learn them.

But if he's just a recreational lifter, then he's entitled to learn the Olympic lifts if he wants, but there's no need for him to do it. He can probably get just as much health, general strength and fitness, muscle mass and enjoyment without the Olympic lifts

Back