Old Judo Injury - Gastrocnemius tear and / or Lateral Collateral Ligament?

Hi Guys,

I cannot pinpoint the exact date I encurred this injury and to be honest it did not really cause me much issue at the time, however I think it was about 6 months ago at my lineup grading.

Basically I have a niggling pain in my right knee from what I think is the outside. This only occurs in specific movements:
  • Sitting cross legged with pressure on the inside of the right knee
  • Pulling back and to the left with my right foot, such as when slipping off shoes with the shoe heel held to the floor with the other foot.

The knee pain does not really effect me with gym going etc but is a bit uncomfortable at times, it is more a dull pain that feels like its in the outside half of the knee.

I noticed today that I also must have had some calf tear trouble at the same kind of time, I had not noticed this before to this extent. My right calf muscle seems part of it does not contract the same.

I am not sure if the torn muscle could be causing this knee pain or they are separate injuries which were probably caused at the same time.

Next question is, what can I do now? I am not really effected by this other than a few specific movements. I guess the muscle will never look the same as my left one anymore?

It's tough to tear a muscle without some sort of trauma or overstretch. Although if you are having pain (and even more significantly, weakness) there could be some kind of strain there. It could be your gastroc, but the "take off the shoe" thing is also a direct test for the popliteus, which runs diagonally across the back of the knee.

Muscular injuries can almost always make a complete recovery. As a bit of bare bones advice, just ice when it hurts and continue to stretch and exercise within your limits. Most importantly, don't do anything painful, as that means you're stressing the injury.

Back