Nordictrack vs. Proform?

I am looking at purchasing an elliptical for my parents as a Christmas gift and was wondering what would be a good suggestion. Both Nordictrack and Proform make folding style ellipticals and they look very similar to me. However, the Nordictrack carries a $200 price difference. I'm sure the warranty and quality of the Nordictrack would be better but is it really worth $200?

Maybe it's just me but these things look exactly alike when you put them side by side like that.

Looks like the same machine only with different stickers/color

They look the same, but the dimensions are totally different so they're not just rebadged if those dimensions are to be believed. In the first one it looks like they are measuring workout area.

Last edited:
If you could try them both you would see that the NT is definitely worth the extra money. You are right, the warranty is better on the NT. If there is a Sears near you, buy it form them online and pick it up at the store. If you don't like it you can take it back within 90 days for a full refund. BTW, that is a very nice Christmas present. If space isn't a problem, this is a better value,

and fold up equipment is always less stable and durable then fixed equipment.

Last edited:
Funny you should mention it, I used to work at Sears. They don't sell either of these models at Sears, they are to be ordered through the retailers online. The CX 938 is a nice elliptical but space is a factor and I think they would like the NT better. It's just a shame that there's nowhere I could go to try them both out.

Both the Nordac Track and the Proform are made by the same company. Icon Fitness owns almost all the name brands that you find in department stores. I would suggest that you find a speciality fitness retailer in your area. You should stick with a name brand that you see in the local gyms. Almost all the major equipment manufacturers have a home line of equipment: Precor, Life Fitnes, Octane, Diamond Back, Startrac(home coming soon), Sports Art, Keys Fitness, Landice(for Treadmills).

I have been repairing fitness equipment for almost 15 years, and the big names that you find in a speciality retailer are built stronger, and last longer under regular use.

You NEVER see a Proform in a real gym, and the commercial quality Nordac Track equipment you may see in a gym is made by a different division in different factories than the stuff they sell at sears.

Both the Nordac Track and the Proform are made by the same company. Icon Fitness owns almost all the name brands that you find in department stores. I would suggest that you find a speciality fitness retailer in your area. You should stick with a name brand that you see in the local gyms. Almost all the major equipment manufacturers have a home line of equipment: Precor, Life Fitnes, Octane, Diamond Back, Startrac(home coming soon), Sports Art, Keys Fitness, Landice(for Treadmills).

I have been repairing fitness equipment for almost 15 years, and the big names that you find in a speciality retailer are built stronger, and last longer under regular use.

You NEVER see a Proform in a real gym, and the commercial quality Nordac Track equipment you may see in a gym is made by a different division in different factories than the stuff they sell at sears.

He's right, and Landice is the best :)

Back