NFL Rules?

I own a copy of the video game madden 2004..and ive been playing intently for a while now and i understand most rules and what not...but i am not sure if it is just a thing that happens in my video game or something that occurs on the field...the clock will sometimes countdown during the snap and sometimes it is stopped during the snap...if this occurs on the field in real life can someone explain to me why sometimes the clock is counting down and other times its not.

oversimplifing it

ball leaves the field of play stops the clock

like incomplete pass or out of bounds

follow?

i follow you on that aspect

but what about running play's...i cant figure it out...whether i make first down or not it sometimes stops and sometimes doesnt...same as when i take a QB Kneel sometimes the clock keeps running after the QB Kneel and othertimes it doesnt.

what can stop the clock in football...

ball carrier going out of bounds with possession.
incomplete pass
team calling time out
penalty
change of possession
coaches challenge

now without getting into whats happening, what you are playing is pretty true to rules. if your on defense in the madden series though, once the offense (assuming youre on defense) chooses a play and you have 10 seconds to choose a defense, the clock will stop while you choose the D for that 10 seconds, keeps you from running time off of the clock on defense. Thats not a rule, its a game mechanic.

try to remember the game situation next time this happens, and maybe we can tell you whats happening.

okay heres the situation

im on defense it is 2nd down 6 to go 53 seconds on the clock 1st 1/4, offensive team just made a running play. clock is counting down not stopping at all, is right or is it just the game. Im just trying to decipher now whether the game has the right rules or whether there made up for the game.

okay ive figured all that out now...some other stuff i dont understand that maybe you guys might be able to help me with..

sometimes a player will catch a pass and get smashed in a tackle and the ball just bounces away and its just counted as an incomplete pass...but other times when the same thing happens its counted as a fumble and the ball is up for grabs...whats the deal there. Also you can tackle a player before the 1st down marker and he falls over the line and its counted as a first down..but if you tackle them after the first down marker and he falls before the marker it is also considered first down...is this right?

Back