Newcomer

Adu6th

Hello everyone. I'm new here, just wanted to say hi... Hi... Yea, so I'm basically trying to get rid of my 1 pack, wife been wanting a six pack for the longest time now. So any advise and tips are most welcome. Thank you.

Hi, Adu & welcome to the forum :)

Advice and tips generally depend on your starting point, tell us a little about yourself :)

Hi Trusylver... Well i'm about 179cm, weigh about 85kg, I look skinny in clothing but got body fat covering my abs.

Welcome to the forum, Adu! The good news is that you don't have to lose a ton of weight. The bad news is that the last couple of kilos tend to be stubborn. What is it you struggle with, foodwise? Mindless snacking, binging, large portions, comfort eating?

Hi LaMaria... I'm a sucker when it comes to food. I love the stuff... I snack, large portions and I do comfort eat at times.

Ok, that's a pretty clear reason for weight gain at least. Could you up your veggie portions at the expense of your carb portions? Assuming the vegetables you eat aren't oily that alone could make a decent difference. Then maybe snack on fruit rather than other sweets and you could well be losing half a kilo a week.

I agree with LaMa. Just replacing some of your food with healthier options will make a difference.

a few more questions... how old are you and are you in good health? do you play any physical sports? DID you play any sports when you were school age (assuming you aren't now). do you own a bike? does your area have hills?

a few more questions... how old are you and are you in good health? do you play any physical sports? DID you play any sports when you were school age (assuming you aren't now). do you own a bike? does your area have hills?
I am 33 and i'm assuming in good health, going for full medical next week. I'm a photographer, my job keeps me active and when I get home I do a series of light workouts. Skipping rope, squats, push-ups, sit-ups etc. We have a hill but I don't have anyone I can climb with, not very safe for individuals.

After reading some of your responses, a six pack is made in the kitchen, the key is lowering your overall bodyfat % down to around 12% or below. You cannot spot reduce. Getting your snacking and comfort eating under control is the first step. Most diets work, the trick is finding the diet that works for you and is one you can stick with in the long term.

@overlandflyer does well with Intermittent Fasting while others will count calories, I follow a ketogenic lifestyle yet others are vegetarian, they all have benefits and drawbacks and those who have had success with a specific way of eating will tell you that their way is best, and it may be the best for them but not necessarily you. Whichever approach you take small changes a bit at a time make everything more manageable and sustainable in the long term.

Starting a thread in the diary section is a good idea, as listing your food, exercise and notes on what works/doesn't work can help you get a better overall picture of your progress and allows other members to make suggestions based on your progress.

:iagree: with Tru. Pretty much every diet works but none of them keep working once you go back to doing whatever you did while you were gaining weight so whatever you choose should feel like you can keep doing it for the rest of your life.

i refer to intermittent fasting as my "diet", but only in the terms of "it's the way i eat every day" ... my diet. of course most people assume a diet immediately points to something exceptional you do to lose weight. i wish there were a better term.

Adu. it seems like you do exercise, so that's great, but it's a shame you haven't seen a result in your abdominal muscle tone. personally i have been within the bounds of a healthy BMI for almost 3 years now and i still have some gut i'd like to trim down. the good news... despite not losing any weight in the past 2+ years, my waist measurement has been dropping ... VERY slowly. i have advanced 2+ belt buckle holes in that time... will it every stop..? yet to have any evidence one way or the other.

when i lost weight in my 40's i did it through some insane level of biking. hill climbing is one of the best ways i found to tone the abs.

.... You cannot spot reduce. ...
(y)(y)(y)

at my heaviest i was 60 lbs over my current weight. one thing i discovered is that weight does not accumulate over your entire body equally. my body type went through three different phases. the first was my gut/ waistline, next it was overall... you can pack a lot of fat just under your skin. my chest measurement was up to 44... now it's below 38". the most surprising was the last ten lbs... almost entirely in my butt.

on the downward side, the weight came off in the same way. i smile whenever i hear the term "stubborn belly fat". with men it is nearly 100% that it was the first place you gained and it will be the last place you lose.

Back