Newbie looking for advice

Hey guys! So this is probably generic but oh well..

I recently started going to the gym and I am just wondering what I should be looking for for a pre/post workout supplement?

Details of me: I am about 5'6", small build, little under 130lbs, and very little fat.

Goals: I want to gain better cardio, strength and endurance. But most of all I would like to see a weight and size increase. I dont want to be a huge muscle bound arnold, but I would like to gain some healthy weight.

Also, I have a very fast metabolism which is reasoning why I am looking for a pre/post supplement, however there is an ungodly amount out there,

so whats best option for my size and goals?

Hey AWOL,

You have to know that your body type will be the one main deciding factor as to how big you can become. Of course, there is a lot you can do with workout and nutrition, but if your body is genetically predisposed to be lean rather than bulky, you won't be able to become a hulking mountain of muscles.

That being said, in order to train your cardio-vascular system, get stronger, and build more endurance, you should look into cross training. This type of workout combines periods of fast paced cardio such as running mixed in with weight lifting exercises. At the gym, you can ask a trainer to set up one of the cardio machines to give you a cross training type program.

When you go to the weights area, make sure you don't take long breaks between sets, and, if possible, keep your heartrate up for the whole work out time.

Once you've reached the level of fitness you want, you can go for two-three weeks totally without cardio exercises and only lift heavy weights. During that time, make sure you have lots of protein. This will make you bulk up.

Pre/post workout supplements ... I can't endorse any brand over another. Unless you're lactose intolerant, go with a whey protein product that is not too high in carbs as those carbs are usually sugar and will only make you fat instead of lean muscled.

Back