New workout plan for 14 year old boy.

I am a 14 years old boy.
I'm 55 kg (110 lbs) and 168 cm tall (5'5'')
So I was going to the gym for solid 3 months. My workout plan was:
1st day: Chest
2nd day: Biceps and Triceps
3rd day: Back
4th day : Shoulder
5th day: Abs (and some bonus like traps)
And when it's done I start over again.
People there suggest me to stay away from doing legs,as it can stunt my growth. Same goes for deadlifts.
Now I am searching for a new workout plan for building muscles. Can you suggest me one?
Also any tips for training? I mean how many reps usually should I do on which exercise,etc...

Training legs is good at any age, just don't go stupid with it (or with any other body parts) and eat sufficiently. It's actually relatively hard to go heavy enough on legs for it to be a skeletal risk (compared to upper body), because you've got so many points of failure: technique, core stability, trunk strength, cardiovascular fitness, actual leg strength/endurance. This is especially true when you're doing sets of 10+ reps, which, as a 14yo, would be wise (the only reason to do fewer reps at your age is because of your technique failing early in the set or doing certain exercises that require low rep ranges to be useful).

I'm going to link you to a program I put together at the start of the year, which is really, really, really simple. The program, as written, is intended for adults, so I'll make one amendment to it for you as a teenager: always stick to a 7-8/10 RPE. I'll explain what that means in a moment, but first, here's the program:

Okay, so RPE means Rating of Perceived Exertion. In strength training, an RPE of 10/10 means that the last rep you did was the most you possibly could have done: you had nothing left over. 9/10 means it was hard, but at the end of the set, you could have done 1 more rep. 8/10 means you could have done 2-3 more reps. 7/10 means that the last rep you did could have been really fast on the way up if you wanted it to. The two things that are most likely to cause skeletal issues in teens from weight lifting (other than bad technique or general injuries) are going too heavy and not eating enough. Sticking to a 7-8/10 RPE will protect you from going too heavy. Once your bones are finished growing, then you can start working at 9-10/10 RPE if you so desire.

The other piece of the puzzle is to eat sufficiently. How much food is sufficient will vary from person to person, but given your height and weight, I'm going to suggest eating a lot of wholesome food (vegetables, meat, fruit, dairy, eggs, nuts, legumes, whole grains) and to overall increase your serving sizes by about 10% from what they currently are. In time, you might increase serving sizes again, but this is where I'd probably start.

Thank you! I read the program.
I was searching for a workout plan,similar to mine, with which I can go daily at the gym (or atleast 2 rest days a week),since i usually go with friends and we go daily. As for the exercises,the gym I go to is a bit small (it has most of equipment) and there is a woman who usually watches what we do. She and some other people tell us to wait for atleast 18 years so we can go with deadlifts and squats.
People tell me to try and think of a schedule myself,but I'm not so sure how to do it and whether it will be good.
Can you give me a plan with which i can go frequently at the gym ? I am not so sure about the deadlifts and squats tho,I may give it a try using the 7-8 RPE :)

Hey Rosen

I've trained teenagers with similar physiques to yours in the past, and in my experience working out a different body part every day is a waste of time!

In my opinion - you should be training 3-4 times a week maximum.

If you train 3 times a week - do three workouts where you train your whole body. If you decided to workout 4 days, then train your upper body twice, and your lower body twice.

And training your legs will NOT stunt your growth! If you don't train your legs you'll end up looking like a chicken. Hope that helps

You're very young, which is great for training, muscle growth and recovery. People can spout off what routines "work great" and have been "proven", but no two people are alike. You will have to see what works for you. A buddy of mine swears by the 5-3-1 program, but I tried it with no results. The best routine for me has always been the classic 5x5. I also lift in the 6-8 range as well too. Some guys swear by only lifting in the 8-12 rep range. Some people will tell you to do a full body routine 3 times a week, which personally did wonders for me, and others will tell you to workout a different body part 4 days on and 3 days rest following. The most important bit of information I can give you is that lifting weights is about learning what works for you and what doesn't, and to not get discouraged when you try a routine that may not work as well for you as it does for somebody else. No two people are alike, therefore two different people may need two different routines.

The best routine I have ever been on was a very simple 5x5:

Monday - 5x5 - 90% - Bench, Dead, Squat, Misc Arm Exercise(I did skull crushers).

Wednesday - 5x5 - 50% - Squat, Dead, Bench, Misc Back Exercise(I did barbell rows).

Friday - 5x5 - 75% - Dead, Bench, Squat, Misc Arm Exercise(I did barbell curls).

I did my Misc exercises in 3x8 reps, but the main lifts were always 5x5.

I made my best gains on that simple program, but that's just me. Who knows what will work for you.

Last edited:
Back