New to pilates and trying to get in shape!

Hey, I'm verrry new to pilates as in I havn't even done it yet, but I found this book my mom has on it kicking around the house and havn't gotten the time to do anything with it really. But now that school's about to let out I will have time! So here's my situation I'm 5' 3" and I weigh 143, but it fluctuates between 145 to 140. I've started working out because I reeeally want to loose some weight and I've been eating healthier, I've cut meat out of my diet and dairy for the most part. I've been doing this for about a month or so and there's been no change in weight or inches, only my strength and especially my running. So my big question is this, would pilates be good to replace weight lifting and such with? Should I do pilates and go for a run, and is that going to give me the results I want? (I'm looking for toned and lean muscles). And if you have any diet/ nutrition ideas that would help too. I tend to eat lots of fruit and veggies one half of the week and then get lazy or crave something more starchy and then eat that for the last half, and I tend to do that over and over so if anyone has any info for me that'd be really really great. Thank you!

Welcome to the forums - you might want to post a journal so that you and others can track your progress. At the very least, list in detail what your daily food plan is and what you intend to do with working out. As for the food plan, cutting out meat and dairy removes two great protein sources which you'll have to make up for in some other way.

To answer your question though, no I don't think pilates will replace weight lifting - the reason being is that pilates is designed to work your core muscles (and it does this very well), but strength training, when done properly, trains your entire body. If you want to do strength training regularly (as in a full body workout 3 times a week), and supplement with pilates, that'd be good - I did that myself when the class was offered at the gym I go to.

Here's what's helped me:
Eating 5-6 times a day, smaller meals, within my caloric intake limit
Having a carb source and protein source (with some healthy fats) at each meal
A planned cheat meal - nearly always on Friday, sometimes Saturday
Cooking for myself
Strength training 3 times a week, cardio 4 times a week (doing interval training), with supplemental work if you have the interest/time

Hope this helps...

Don't forget that you did not gain the weight overnight, so cannot lose it overnight. Be patient and persevere with what you're doing.

Back