New to HIIT - need your help!

Hey all,

I did my first HIIT workout today...not feeling as tired as i thought i should be...and i need your help!

I am female, 5'11 tall (180cm) and i weigh 77kg (about 170 pounds). I am trying to lose a bit of weight (about 7 kg) and have heard great things about HIIT. I consider myself to be relatively fit. I play basketball, tennis and netball once a week and have recently joined back up at the gym.

So at the gym this morning i got on the treadmill to start my workout.

Here's what i did:
5 min warm up
30 second sprint (treadmill set at 13)
90 second jog (treadmill set at 8)

I did this 15 times.

Now i'm not sure if the treadmills here in Australia are different to other places around the world...but the fastest the treadmills go at this gym are about 20.
This was fine for the first few intervals, but at interval 5 i changed it so i was sprinting at 15 and jogging/walking at 6.

After the workout which took a total of 38 mins (including 5 mins warm up and 4 mins cool down) i felt fine.

I am guessing that the reason i feel fine is because i have done it wrong and havent worked hard enough.
So i am wondering what is the best option to make it harder?

Am i better off increasing how fast i sprint and/or how fast i jog or should i increase the sprint period and decrease the rest period?? eg: 30 second sprint, 60 second rest.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

- Tigger

If you're lasting 38 minutes, it doesn't sound like you're really hitting the high intensity range. A typical HIIT bout (for me at least) only lasts about 20-30 minutes max. It sounds like you're fairly well conditioned to be able to run at those speeds through the workout, so try to increase the intensity by increasing the incline, particularly on the sprint portions of the training. Also, now that you're back at a gym, if they have a running track, you could possibly utilize that, sprinting for a period of time or a length of the track followed by a proportional jog.

Last edited:
thanks for that!
Ill try increasing the incline today at gym and give it another go.
Will let u know how it goes.
Thanks again :D

Back