Need Some Advice/Input

Hey All,

I'm pretty new here but I figured I'd post and get some opinions on this. Running is pretty much the only cardio work out that makes me feel like I'm working out hard (sweating, etc.) so for now I'm sticking with that.

Right before exams started in mid December I was doing really well on my diet and exercise program, and was training really hard pretty often (6 times a week I'd say) then exams hit and I had to take some time off and put it into my studies. Six weeks later, and feeling like **** because I wasn't in shape anymore, I started back up on my plan again (and man does it feel good).

Anyways regarding my running, when I went back I ran 40 minutes a day, with a 5 minute warm up and cool down. That became too easy and now I find myself pushing between 50-60 minutes of running a day. What are your thoughts on this? I would hate to change it up because personally, like I said previously...running is the only cardio that really makes me feel like I'm working (Hate eliptical, etc.).

Also I'd like to add weights to my routine as well. I do on occasion now, usually upper body but nothing set in stone. I hate the fact that it's said you have to lift before you do your cardio, I'm almost positive I won't have the energy to run 50-60 if I lift first, any thoughts?

Comments are appreciated. I'm new here and it'd be nice to hear from some other avid runners and fit freaks! :D

Cheers.

Have you tried a higher intensity of running? Maybe even HIIT? Ive been a runner for over 15 years and I switched to HIIT, (I just learned what HIIT means, but Ive been doing it for a long time now.)
It takes less time out of your schedule, (especially helpful during exams) and its a little easier on my joints. Not to mention the fact that it makes you feel great! Ive been doing it for a couple years now and I still get the head rush and feather-light legs when Im done. (Is it just me or is that one of the best feelings in the world?)

It depends on your goals.

Long distance running causes endurance qualities like muscle and fat burning and cardiac health - if this is what you're after then stick to what feels good for you.

However I agree with marcerrin in that switching up the interval training could provide you with that intensity boost to stimulate you, take up less time, provide variety, and maintain more muscle mass.

You didn't say how far you run in 40-60 minutes, but I would try varying both distance and pace. First, instead of running longer run faster. If you have been covering 3 miles in 40 minutes try to increase your pace so you eventually can cover 5-6 miles in 40 minutes. Second, you may want to vary teh distance from day to day. For example:
Mon 3 miles
Tues 6 miles
Wed 3 miles
Thurs 4 miles
Fri 3 miles
Sat 12 miles
Sun rest
or something like that!

Back