need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onespeed

I am new to this forum so I will tell you a bit about myself.
I am 66 years old
I have had uncontrolled type II diabetes for approx. 20 years. At first I was to control it with Diet (which I did not do) then I progressed to metformin slowly increasing it until I was on 2000 mg per day. Then we added Gliclazide 30 mg per day. 4 years ago I also added a diabetic study drug. Last year I started on 6 units of Lantus a day and slowly worked my way up to 40 units a day. I did not follow a diet and my fasting sugar was between 200-300 most days. I also have high blood pressure and diverticulitis for which I had 12" of my bowel removed 2 years ago. Last June I had 2 stents put in my heart due to clogged arteries. So now I have to take brillenta and asprin daily as well.
I don't know why I thought I could do what ever I wanted but I guess that doesn't matter.
6 weeks ago I woke up and knew I had to start to take my life and health into my own hands and start doing something about it.
I researched on line and made the decision that a low carb low calorie diet is what I needed. I had ballooned up to 183 lbs and I am only 5 ft tall.
I try to stay under 50 carbs per day and 800 calories.
The first 2 weeks were amazing. My blood sugar came down drastically and I started to reduce my insulin by 2 units a day ( same way my doctor had me increase it) and I cut my metformin down to 1000 mg a day. My fasting blood sugar is now down to 100-120. My blood pressure has also dropped but I have not adjusted that medication.
Now my problem is that in the first 2 weeks I lost 13 lbs but since then I have lost nothing, somedays I even gain a pound or 2 only to lose it over the next couple of days again.
I am wondering if I should take some kind of supplement to help kick start the weight loss again or change something in my diet.
I have eliminated all bread, rice, pasta and sweets from my diet already and have stopped eating after supper so not sure what to do next.
Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for running on so long.
Thank You

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Most members here have little understanding of eating ketogenic, I have been eating this way for years. That first couple of weeks loss is water weight, when you cut out carbs you shed a LOT of excess fluid and bloat from your system, and it can take around 6 weeks for the body to adapt to using your bodyfat as the primary source of energy rather than carbs.

eating this way it is more important to be meeting your nutritional needs rather than just a calorie total, you should try to work out what your bodyfat % is. then post your height, weight and bodyfat %

weight fluctuations are normal, don't panic because of it.

also remember Keto should not be high fat for weight loss, you want to fuel your energy with your own fat not fat your eating.

Another important factor is ensuring you get adequate electrolytes, without these you can feel weak and unwell while you adapt.

Please post your carb, protein and fat macros.

finally, don't loose hope, I know of quite a few people who have reversed their diabetes eating this way, and the endocrinologist I saw recently (gestational diabetes, gone now baby is 4 months old) said she recommends this way of eating for diabetic patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back