need help starting out! please

hello, i am an out of shape 15 year old and i joined my high school's track team to help me get fit. I have been to 2 practices consisting of 2 laps around the Central Park resivoir then 3 laps today 1hour ( im tired :) I feel i am going very slow but i cant seem to go faster without getting pains in my right side. Anything i can do to help outside of track to get rid of the side pains which would allow me to run/jog/walk better? Any help would really be appreciated.

Oh by the way the resivoir is 1.5 miles so 1st practice was 3 miles then 4.5 for the last one. Thanks alot

When you say "pain" - are you referring to a cramp or actual pain?

its more like a cramp that seems to be just below my ribs, it quickly goes away though when i slow down and start walking, after a what seems to be like a very short time i sometimes get it again, so i have to walk.

reply to fat kid

Some advice I would give to you would be to drink alot more water or some kind of sports drink to help the pain in your side which is pobably your liver. Also I think you maybe starting out to fast if it is that hard for you. Not to say you should quit track, just take it a little easier. I used to be in your situation, but now that I've joined the weightlifting P.E. class in my highschool, I'm 15-years-old also and I bench around 200 lbs. and squat 277 lbs. , and run a 3:00 1/2 mile. You can do it too if you want it bad enough.

yes im almost sure that what you stated is correct because i dont ususally eat/drink anything after lunch. I have to be sure to bring at least a bottle of water with me. Thanks for the support and help guys

re: starting out

Where you start at usually depends on your level of fitness. I wouldn't recommend starting the quest for fitness with joining the track team, but if you knew me you'd know how hypocritical it is for me to say that.

Have you been instructed on how to run without injuring yourself? what's your diet look like? how often do/will you run, and is that your only form of exercise? I'd like more details so I can better answer your questions. Also, if it's not too personal, how out of shape are we talking? age/height/weight/bf?

Here's the deal:

First off: Drink. Lots. Of. Water. You wouldn't believe the difference that will make on its own. I'm talking at least 4-5 L a day if you can handle it. You should be sipping constantly..especially during a heavy workout.

As for cramps..if we're talking regular cramps, that's good. My advice to you is to suck it up, princess. :D Just don't kill yourself. But if you're actually in pain, if you feel nauseated while running, or are experiencing pain-okay, I don't know how to describe the actual sensation of pain, but you'll know what I mean when you injure yourself. Which will happen soon enough, no doubt, cramps are nothing-then you might want to take it a little more slowly. Work up to running, first walk fast, then run. As they say in Thailand, "If you want to run, crawl, if you want to crawl, run." Just an addendum: if you're properly hydrated and working out at your fitness level,you shouldn't really be cramping up much,in my experience anyways, but some people do.

Hope that helps a little. More info? :D

[edited for spelling and confusion over whether im quoting the thai properly..sigh. I'll have to ask my acharn.]

Last edited:
well im 15, 5'4 and 150 pounds. Ill be running around 3times a week and my diet could be much better.

Back