Need Evaluation

Hello all,

I am trying to achieve my goal of 118lbs. I used to go to the gym 3 times a week and had a relatively weak work out. About a year ago, I started increasing the intensity of my exercise and noticed weight gain. I used to weigh 140lbs and I am now scared with this slight weight gain. Please let me know if there is something I am doing wrong. Your suggestions are welcome.

Stats: 24, 5'2, 126lbs, Female
Diet: 1200-1500 calories a day (NO red meat)
Breakfast
-Protein Shake
-Nature Valley Bar
Lunch
-Salad with Almonds and Miso dressing
-Apple
-Vegetable Soup
-Sometimes Vegetables and rice instead of the above
Snack
-Yogurt or Fruit
-Protein Shake
Dinner
-Vegetable Soup
-Rice
-Stir Fry Tofu and Vegetable
-Sometimes Fish Fillet

On weekends I will have some dessert or alcoholic drinks and sometimes eat out.

Exercise routine in detail
Monday
-Walking treadmill at 4.0 and 7-13 Incline for 40 Minutes
-Hip Abductor with cable at 7lbs
-Squats with side lift
-Lounges
-Various Glut exercise

Tuesday
-Walking treadmill at 4.0 and 7-13 Incline for 20 Minutes
-Stationery Bike for 20 Minutes from light to heavy
-Bicep curls
-Tricep-Kickbacks (I think thats what you call them)
-Tricep-Bar 20lbs
-Arm raises in the front with 5lbs

Wednesday
-Stationery Bike for 45 Minutes from light to heavy
-Ab Machine
-Crunchs on mat
-Hip Abductor Seated
-Various Glut exercise

Thursday
-Club Boxing 60 Minutes

Friday
-Eliptical 30 Minutes
-Chest Machine
-Back extension
-Seated Rows
-Leg Extension

Saturday
-Belly Dance (light work out) 90 minutes

Sunday
-Rest or very light cardio(eliptical, treadmill, or bike)

I've been doing this and of course incorporating some new exercises each week, and alternate the cardio machine for about 3 months now. I enjoy the boxing class and cardio. My main goal is figuring out how to get back to 118lbs. and if my current exercise needs help. I also want to know if I am eating enough.

Thanks for your help.

Hi and welcome.

Basically you are just a little all over the place, there is no real focus and no real plan here.

When ever someone lists out meal plans and things are "sometimes this, sometimes that, little that there" and so forth it tells me that there is no structure and no real undertanding of what and why they are taking in what they are.

Protein needs to be with every meal. As far as calories you are a smaller girl and can get away with those numbers but I would throw in a re-feed once a week.

Your routine again needs more focus. Cardio is all over the place and really to long in most places. No Mention of what kind of rep/set scheme is going on.

In short your diet detail should look something like this (not this exact foods mind you but structure.)

Sample Diet

Meal One:

* 4 egg white/one yolk
* ½ cup oatmeal (measured raw)
* 1/4 cup strawberries

Meal Two:

* 1.5 cups shredded lettuce
* ½ tomatoes
* ¼ onions
* ½ cup cooked brown rice
* 5 ounces chicken breast shredded

Meal Three:

* 4 ounces chicken breast
* 1 cup greens (salad greens)
* ¼ salsa
* 1 cup apple

Meal Four:

* 4 ounces salmon
* 1 cup broccoli
* ½ cup cooked brown rice

Meal Five:

* Protein powder
* ½ cup low fat cottage cheese
* 4 or 5 almonds crushed and sprinkled in

Your Routine is the same thing. You need more of a focus on weight training, you wont get bulky cause you are in a deficit. A Full Body routine 3 days a week is best at your point. Compound exercises, 6-8 exercises in 3 sets at 10-12 reps a set. Squats, Lunges, Rows, large multi joint movers here. Also you seem to be in decent cardiovasular shape so throw in some HIIT.

Sample Routine

Mon-Full Body
Tues-HIIT
Wed-Full Body
Thurs-One of your cardio classes (or HIIT)
Fri-Full Body
Sat-Rest
Sun-Rest

If your diet is in check, no guesstimating and you are push it to the limit on your training the weight will fall off. If you are disorganized and kind of just go at it, you will get spotty results.

Good Luck.

Thanks for your input. I have a few questions.
What is HIIT??

Also you suggested a full body routine 3 days a week. You meant the 6-8 exercises like the squats, lunges, rows, etc... that you listed?

Should I incorporate some hand held weights with the squats and lunges? (10lbs okay?)

Thanks again for your suggestions.

What is HIIT??
Read through the WHOLE thread here and that will pretty much tell you everything you need to know.
HITT explained - World Fitness.com

Also you suggested a full body routine 3 days a week. You meant the 6-8 exercises like the squats, lunges, rows, etc... that you listed?
Yes you want compound exercises that uses multiple joints/muscle in the movement. Those are some example of such exercises. For more exercise choices look at this site. ExRx Exercise & Muscle Directory

My personal picks are..

Squats
Lunge
Deadlifts
Rows
Dips (can do chair/stair dips at home)
Seated Press
Planks

With those you get a complete full body workout.

Should I incorporate some hand held weights with the squats and lunges? (10lbs okay?)
Yes you need to use weights when you can. A 3x12 rep scheme means that you do 3 sets of 12. It isn't some magic number, on that 12th rep you should barely be able to do that movement. If you can do more then you need to bump up the weight OR make it more challenging with balance or body technique (example- One legged squats)
Thanks again for your suggestions.
Welcome:)

Protein can lose weight

In addition to my workout, I begun to take protein shakes about twice a day 40 grams of protein each with about 200 cal.

The sales person at the nutrion zone says I can lose weight if I take this with exercise. It's been one month and I haven't lost a lb. Does adding protein to your diet really help you lose weight?

Back