Need a program before p90x

Hello, all. Great forum. I want to do p90x in three months (not now) and need a good program before then to get ready.

A few things:

1. I don't have a steady home to do a DVD-based program (like the regular p90), but I have a good gym that I can use, so it's gotta be gym based.

2. I have been doing a Body-for-Life (a lighter version) for the past three months, but want to "take it up a notch" so I can get ready for the p90x in 90 days or so. I have some weakness in my shoulders that I've been trying to slowly build up, but still have some to do. I'm super motivated, but on some stuff - like pull-ups, I'm still weak. I can't do any pull-ups, for example. It's frustrating.

3. Any advice eating-wise, is of course, appreciated.

Thanks so much!

????

Al, I think I can help. I have just completed the P90X and it is a great work out. I started the program and I was in horrible shape, I mean bad. I am 5'6" and I was 220lbs and to boot I haven't worked out in years. In 90 days I lost over 38lbs and went from 31% bf to only 17% and I am still losing I am currently at 180lbs. I even became a coach for them and am getting recertified as a personal trainer, I use to be one back in my early 20's. I am finally in descent shape enough to get ready for a triathlon I have always wanted to do. The program is no joke, it is hard but you don't have to be in any type of great shape to do it. I know you mentioned that you need a gym type program. Well good news for you, p90x comes with a guide and nutritional guide, you can do a couple of things. If you were to get the program you can use the guide and take to the gym on the days you can't do the DVD. Please contact me if you need detailed help.:eek:

p90xer- thanks so much for the inspirational post! If you have a moment, I'd love to ask you a few questions - it sounds like you really got a lot out of p90x!

I'm currently not able to get into a private place enough times to do p90x, which is why I've been working out in the gym to get ready to start (I'm beginning the p90x on July 11), and which is why I was asking about a gym based program. I've had some shoulder pain, which I got checked out (doctor & MRI(- nothing major, just wear and tear, but I'm doing physical therapy. I'm not really able to do any pullups (just assisted ones, with at least 50-60 pounds of assist), which is frustrating, especially b/c from what I've seen it seems that pull-ups are a big part of p90x. If you have any experience/advice re: pull-ups I'd love it! Also - did you use free weights, bands or both? Just wondering.

Thanks again. And again, your post and your page are really inspirational!

To answer your question about your shoulder real quick. I would highly suggest that you lay off any upper body work out only do to the fact that so much is needed by your shoulders, whether it is for chest or biceps or even the triceps and back your shoulder is involved in the movement. Rehap the shoulder that by July you should be good to go. By the way don't over do it in rehabing faster because there is no such thing as fast with your body.

Secondly, yes I did use free weights. I mostly used dumbbells from 5 to 25lbs no more and yes also the bands. I felt that the amount of pull ups being done on the videos were a little exessive that all pull up moves were done with the bands. I felt it was the least impact on the shoulder blades and still I saw results. I spoke to my physical therapist and perhaps different ones will have different opions about it, but between her and a good friend of mine that has a bachelors in exercise physiology they both told me that pull ups are not great for the shoulders, they put a real strain on them especially if they are already weak.

So, after your rehab of the shoulder stick to the bands you still see the results you want.

Check out my profile and you can see the changes I made with p90x. If you need a coach with the program I am here to help if you like.

P90exer-you are the best! Thanks for the advice on pull ups. You're actually the first person I've heard recommend easing off on them - I'll take that into account!

Did you ever need to travel while you were doing the program? I'm an actor, and have some shows out of town while I'm going to be doing p90x. I can bring the bands, obviously, or look into getting some free weights and a private room, but that might be a challenge on the road.

Al, believe it or not you don't need to get the free weights when you travel, all you need is the guide and "a" band not all of them or some of them just one. Unless you are going to be out of town for an undetermined amount of time, then take a couple of them. You can get a good work out also just using body weight or using just whats around you as weights a little old school but still works. Remember also since your travelling your eating habits need to firm with the program. If you need a coach let me know, I am a coach with the company. I would like to help you and achieve your goal. drop a line if you need anything else.

Hey, p90xer - I was going to PM you, but I have to have at least 5 posts to send a private message. Thanks again for all the great advice. When you say you're a coach for the company - does that mean people hire your coaching services, or that if you get a program like p90x, that they're able to get your advice? I just don't want to be milking you for information when it's something you usually make money doing!

If it's cool to still give advice, I totally appreciate it! I know that food when traveling is a challenge, especially as they usually have us staying in hotels. Do you have any thoughts on the best way to navigate this? Does the materials in p90x give any advice on eating right when traveling? I'd be happy to cook/prepare food ahead of time and bring it with me.

Thanks again!

Hello, all. Great forum. I want to do p90x in three months (not now) and need a good program before then to get ready.

A few things:

1. I don't have a steady home to do a DVD-based program (like the regular p90), but I have a good gym that I can use, so it's gotta be gym based.

2. I have been doing a Body-for-Life (a lighter version) for the past three months, but want to "take it up a notch" so I can get ready for the p90x in 90 days or so. I have some weakness in my shoulders that I've been trying to slowly build up, but still have some to do. I'm super motivated, but on some stuff - like pull-ups, I'm still weak. I can't do any pull-ups, for example. It's frustrating.

3. Any advice eating-wise, is of course, appreciated.

Thanks so much!

My friend, what you need more than anything is a doorway pull up bar. There's no purpose in doing bicep curls or tricep curls if you cant do a pull up. Pull ups are the most effective way too train your whole upper body. All you have too do is adjust your grip and you will essentially be working a different muscle group. Id recommend you take fish oil, it helps your body to slowly develop quicker fat burning and a leaner body. Remember, p90x is an effective way too work out. But, you should be able too motivate yourself too work out and not have too have someone tell you what too do. The most powerful thing you can establish for a better body is knowledge.

Back