my weight loss is very slow help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

darcently

in the past ive been dieting and never had trouble losing a stone in 5 weeks. but ive now got 3stone 8lbs to lose so i started my healthy eating plan as in past times but im going to the gym doing 6 hours of cardio and weights a week. ive only lost half a stone in 5 weeks!!!! whats going on??? why has my weight loss slowed down? ive never exercised before in the past whilst dieting and had good results this dosnt make sense help please

7 lbs in 5 weeks is not an unreasonable rate of loss.

AS you get older, your metabolism does tend to slow down somewhat and losing weight becomes more difficult. A lot of people (myself included) used to be able to drop 10-15 lbs just by cutting back a little and find themselves shocked when they suddenly can't take off weight as fast as they used to.

Can you tell us more about what exactly you're doing? What are you eating each day and what kind of exercise are you doing? It's easier to give specific advice when we know the details.

Along with the metabolism slowing down you may find you are gain weight in muscle where you are losing in fat. This is good as it builds the metabolism.

Make sure you drink enough and eat enough and all of a sudden I'm sure you will see it picks up.

The main thing is you are losing which is great and just keep enjoying going to the gym and see it as a lifestyle change rather than just a diet.

Weight loss success

Hello Darcently,
First and foremost, I would like to congratulate you on your half a stone weight loss. I know that losing any amount of weight is hard and sometimes very disheartening. I have lost roughly 11 stones over the course of one year and a half. If I may ask - What kind of exercise were you doing and what kinds of meals were you eating?

...and just keep enjoying going to the gym and see it as a lifestyle change rather than just a diet.

I think the above is great advice, for me it was never just a one off (though I do have set goals) the main idea is a shift in lifestyle. To be more healthy overall.

Change your program

7 lbs in 5 weeks is not an unreasonable rate of loss.

AS you get older, your metabolism does tend to slow down somewhat and losing weight becomes more difficult. A lot of people (myself included) used to be able to drop 10-15 lbs just by cutting back a little and find themselves shocked when they suddenly can't take off weight as fast as they used to.

Can you tell us more about what exactly you're doing? What are you eating each day and what kind of exercise are you doing? It's easier to give specific advice when we know the details.

I completely agree with KaraCooks. It much easier to lose weight when you are younger but is different matter when you pass your 30th. Find a weight-loss program which will work for you and do it on daily basis.
Don't get frustrated on your temporarily unsuccessful days this attitude would not be helpful, rather focus on your success.
Alexandra:waving:

Hi Darcently,

sounds like you may need to change up some variables in your workout to see the results you want to see.

I'm also thinking that you may need to take a few days off during the week to allow your body to recover and properly repair itself after your workouts.

Here are the variables that you can consider changing to see more results.

Frequency: It’s pretty obvious that the more you exercise, the greater your weekly caloric expenditure will be. Exercise frequency complements the duration and intensity. A daily program is most likely to have you start a habit and promote consistency with your exercise. Engaging in four sessions per week is satisfactory, provided your duration and intensity are at acceptable levels.

Intensity: Intensity refers to how hard your pushing yourself during the exercise. A rule of thumb is that if you’re going to be exercising for a longer period of time then you’re intensity levels will be lower so you can last a long time. If however you’re exercising for a shorter period of time then you can bump up the intensity.

Time (Duration): If losing weight is your priority, then the duration or total amount of energy you burn should be more than 30 minutes. One of your initial challenges is to bring your aerobic fitness up so you can sustain a moderate intensity for enough time to burn a lot of calories. Also remember that duration and total distance are more important than speed (intensity) alone. The slower pace also avoids your body from producing lactic acid.

Type: For weight loss, aerobic exercise is popular for a lot of people looking to lose body fat. It also provides other significant health and cardiovascular benefits. Aerobic exercise involves large muscle groups, so you can look beyond walking, jogging, stair climbing, and bicycling to activities that also incorporate shoulder and core muscles.

For example, activities like cross-country skiing, swimming, skipping, rowing, aerobic dance, and holding weights while walking are really good for developing a number of muscles and decreasing body fat.

hope that helps (please rep if it did),

CptG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back