muscle

Hi

I have a question regarding my girlfriend. She has a lot of muscle mass around her calfs and is struggling to shift it. She is perfectly formed everywhere else, and it is definately muscle as it is defined and can be tensed. Her calf muscle seems to be abnormally broad around her ankles. She trains between 3 and 4 times a week but her instructor has got her repping to 12 each set. I'm convinced this is too low for her and she should be doing more reps with less weight. I myself try to fail between 10 and 12. I train to gain, so I dont see how this can help her?! Despite training for years I havent got a clue how to reduce muscle as I have always looked to gain. I would assume she needs to do lots of reps or take up doing long runs as long distance runners dont normally have big legs. Can anyone help or has anyone come across this before? Also I dont know if this has any baring but she often gets pain in her ankles when she is walking on high heels a lot. She also needs too stretch her calves regularly in the day when she wears heels. Anyway I hope someone can help and I look forward to hearing from you.

Not woring out the calf area would certainly drop muscle, but it sure could just be genetics. She might just be stuck with "big" calves. If she has an instructor, has she told them what her goals are? Because they would be a much better source of information than some people you and she have never met... even though we try to help.

Thanks for the reply she has told him what her goals are, I just dont think hes very good. After all you get good doctors and bad doctors dont you. She even lives with a PTI and so do I.

You know what ladies are like though she would rather die than tell someone she knew something like that. Hence the internet is the best way.

PS what does "woring the calf area" mean or is that a typo and Im just bein thick.

why is it such a bad thing? are her calf muscles really causing her problems or cant she just leave them as they are?

The only way to prevent further growth is to stop working out the calves, so do no more weight exercises on the calfs and they will gradually 'waste away'.

having pain in high heels is not realted to the muscle i dont think, its just what giurls put themselves through in the name of vanity! torture!

no workouts

Just to say that I'm a girl who seems to build muscle mass very quikly...and so am interested by this....

Firstly I'd say don't use phrases like perfectly formed everywhere else! She's ur girl! U shud think she's perfect anyway! And having muscly calves isnt a bad thing! Would she prefer to have cankles? (calf meets ankles)

Anyway when ye are sayin not to work her legs, its gonna defeat the purpose if she's constantly wearing heels! They are a workout in themselves...Lots of girls have toned calves because of heels and the contstant heel raise training session they have 8hrs a day! And if she has built this muscle so easily...its not not gonna just fade away...

I don't know.....I'm not much help! Sorry!

p.s.

if she's getting pain...it cud be her joint or just the muscle imbalance between tibialis and calf....ask her trainer to do some work on tibialis anterior...if its her joint...I dunno...

plenty of stretching and maybe some PNF stretching too...

Back