Muscle gain, fat loss.

Heres a little about myself.
Im 18, 5'10, 165lb, (been going to the gym 5 times a week for the past 4 weeks.)

my goal is to be 185lb by winter, i play soccer so legs are important to me aswell.

I do legs and chest twice a week with everything else once a week, is there a downside to doing muscles more then once a week?

Also what would be the best way to bulk?
And when should I start bulking, considering it is getting so close to summer i dont wanna look bloated and overweight from bulking when im out at the beach.

As a soccer player, why are you doing so much more chest than other things? All that's gonna do is give you bad shoulders. Cut the chest down to once per week and up the back/"pull" exercises to twice per week, otherwise end up with what I love to call "d-bag shoulders".

As for general downsides of doing a muscle group twice per week, as long as you're giving those muscles enough time to recover between workouts, you're fine. As I just mentioned, the only risk is overdeveloping certain muscle groups compared to others and ending up with an imbalance.

I actually talked about this on a that I wrote today. I would take this post and apply it to your gym routine.

As for the diet, I would like to point you in the direction of this calculator: which will provide you with exactly how many calories you need to eat on any given day (workout days and non workout days) to gain mass.

I would like to point out though, please take the protein intake with a pinch of salt.. Personally, my body handles protein quite poorly and therefore my optimal protein intake is more like 0.8g per lb of bodyweight. However some people can handle more. i would never advise more than 1.2g per lb of bodyweight, it gets to a point where it is just overkill.

Applying this logic, I have gained a good 10-15lbs of muscle in the last year and a half and its a very sustainable way to gain it! :)

Cheers

Back