Most accurate BF% measuring method?

First off, i've NEVER checked my body fat % so i don't know what i'm at.

I know there are various formulas online etc, i'm wondering how you people measure your BF% and what is advised as a most accurate method?

Would i need to buy callipers?

I need to find out my BF%! :D

most accurate would probably be an MRI, though you'd have to sell your body about 250000 times to afford it :p

Callipers are good to follow subcutaneous fat, but not for visceral fat, which a lot of men have trouble with and which is also the most "dangeoraus" fat.

most accurate would probably be an MRI, though you'd have to sell your body about 250000 times to afford it :p

Callipers are good to follow subcutaneous fat, but not for visceral fat, which a lot of men have trouble with and which is also the most "dangeoraus" fat.

LOL, so to know your rough BF% what do you do?

IMO BF is pointless. what counts is knowing what way you are going, to do that, callipers + waist measurement is a good tool to use.

I'm sure Chillen will come in and post a couple of pages about dexa scans pretty soon, but I've seen some pretty conflicting stuff about the accuracy of the dexa.

Yea i hear what your saying, or i could even just use one method to measure BF% everytime (regardless if its correct) so that i could track progression.

Callipers are only good at giving you a ballpark range for your % body fat. An MRI, while it does show body fat...is not a very good way of determining what % of your body is made of fat. in my opinion hydrostatic weighing is probably the best and easiest to locate. If you live near a university go by thier exercise science department and ask if you can be hydrostatically weighed. There are some calculations involved but its pretty accurate...but so are dexa scans...but ill leave that up to chillen to discuss :)

IMO BF is pointless. what counts is knowing what way you are going, to do that, callipers + waist measurement is a good tool to use.

I'm sure Chillen will come in and post a couple of pages about dexa scans pretty soon,
but I've seen some pretty conflicting stuff about the accuracy of the dexa.

This is where you are wrong (what I have highlighted).

What I would recommend to a individual would depend on the person, and whether measuring body fat is even appropriate for them in the first place. If asked directly, I would give the most used and most quality-accurate information on Body Fat checking devices/scans, so they can obtain an informed opinion, and then use one of them that they are comfortable with, and most importantly have access to (or is available to them, and cost effective), or to purchase where applicable.

As with most BF checkers/scans, there are pros and cons. I am not going to get into a DEXA debate, but it is extremely accurate, and provides more biological/physiological/physical information to the individual other than just Body Fat information (and is another reason, I get them). I get the scans for free (which can cost $50.00 or more bucks per session); its simply not cost effective for everyone and the availability of DEXA scans in the persons area can be limited or non-existent.

:angry3:

:)

Best wishes,

Chillen

Last edited:
the only reason you didn't post a very long post about different methods of BF measurements (including the dexa) is because I said you would :p

The costly or inconvenient methods (underwater weighing, DEXA scans) might be worth doing if you want to check the error of the more convenient methods (waistline based formulas, skinfold pinches, electrical resistance scales) every once in a while. Still, it is often more important to note the trend direction than the absolute number, so the more convenient methods may suffice, as long as they are measured consistently.

Back