Moods, anger, food related?

I was wondering if certain foods, or lack of certain foods may trigger moods. I quit smoking last January, and have noticed that I tend to get extremely aggravated and can get very angry for no reason at all sometimes. When I first quit smoking it was normal, and I adjusted my diet trying to eat healthy afraid of that "gain weight after quiting" and I'm wondering if the food i was eating then, helped to control them, since I wasn't freaking out so much. I never use to have this problem and at times I get so frustrated that I wish I was smoking again(but I wont) just to prevent these moodswings.
Any advice would be most helpful to me, and the people I live with hahaha
Thanks

Well I know that when my friend quit she went through a depression but soon snapped out of it...she was angry and sobbing all the time because she felt she lost her best friend...I'm sure your bodies trying to adjust to cleaning everything out...I'm not sure about the foods, I'd probably watch the high sugar contents in foods and carbs of course. I'm sure someone will be able to help you...congratuations by the way...that's a real accomplishment! it's not easy.

I know from personal experience, when I am trying to burn fat (on a 1500 calorie a day diet) I get super bitchy because of the simple fact that I can't eat anything fun, and I never have a full stomach. What I find is that if I can eat something that i really enjoy, yet is guilt free (like homemade chicken strips swimming in hot sauce), I feel some what better. I don't think there is anything chemically that changes in the body, I think that a person gets sick of watching others enjoy tasty food, while we are stuck with canned tuna and dry chicken.

Breathing has never really helped me, it only angers me more that nothing is being accomplished while I am sitting around "breathing". I usually go for the smashing technique.

Have you tried to go to gym?
In ordert to calm yourself down, go to the gym to sweat.

Practice yoga for breathing and stretch your body.

If you always want something in your mouth, be prepared some green tea drinks, orange juice etc which are considered as good anti-oxidant.

My fiance likes beer after quiting smoke, I don't know if you want to try it. This is not highly recommended though.

Good luck!

kanukii said:
Breathing has never really helped me, it only angers me more that nothing is being accomplished while I am sitting around "breathing". I usually go for the smashing technique.

I had to laugh at this. I feel the same way, but I do think I should attempt to "train" myself to enjoy breathing exercises. :)

kanukii said:
I know from personal experience, when I am trying to burn fat (on a 1500 calorie a day diet) I get super bitchy because of the simple fact that I can't eat anything fun, and I never have a full stomach. What I find is that if I can eat something that i really enjoy, yet is guilt free (like homemade chicken strips swimming in hot sauce), I feel some what better. I don't think there is anything chemically that changes in the body, I think that a person gets sick of watching others enjoy tasty food, while we are stuck with canned tuna and dry chicken.

Thats why you need to treat your self once a week or you will become really depressed

but some foods ARE trigger foods. for me anyway. i can eat light and healthy and not crave anything fattening. like salads and diet yogurt and lots of water.

but if i just lighten up some recipes - say with ketchup or toamto sauce - and bang! i want chocolate afterwards. so i think there's something to say about that.

Perhaps it might be worth it to write up a mood diary (I am). List the foods you eat (even if just a bare sketch), when you exercise. What preceded when you got sad, happy, angry (try to make it as simple as possible in as few words as possible).

This isn't professional advice as I'm no psychologist but it might help you pinpoint possible triggers of mood changes. Might be sugar, weather, seasons, hay fever, certain people...

I mean, is it the anniversary of your quitting or some other stressful event? The body can remember anniversaries while the mind doesn't.

In my opinion, you get angry with certain food depending on how you view such food, and your view of that from the perspective of others.

I found certain food makes me angry if I believe it is associated with something negative. For example, the other day I had a piece of cookie, and I became quite depressed after eating it. After thinking why I feel that way, I found that it is because I associated cookies as a bad thing. I had to battle myself with justifying that it was ok because I had only one, and it probably didn't hurt my overall daily needs for the day and not to mention I ate healthy throughout the day.

As for watching others eat, it too can change your mood in my opinion if you associate it with good and bad, positive and negative. It's all about your view on things. I think you should relax a bit, and try to look at things as positives, rather than negatives. If you really enjoy eating with friends or out in public, I say go ahead and do so, but keep in mind of moderation, and your overall goal. Just remember, just because you see someone fit eating something "bad" it doesn't mean they do it all the time, nor does it mean they are in healthy condition. That could be their only meal of the day, which would be very unhealthy, no matter what you're eating.

Also, another danger note of associating food as positive or negatives. You are in great risk of impulse eating. You probably had to battle yourself into thinking, "Why should I eat this stuff, when others can eat whatever they want and not worry about it?" Then you'll battle that thought thinking, "I don't want to eat those stuff because I know it's bad for me." You might win it for a week or even for a month, but eventually you'll fall and say to yourself, "I think I'll have just one or two." Then you'll say to yourself, "Oh I had one, that wasn't so bad, I'll have another." Then later in the day, or right afterwards, you'll think to yourself, "I shouldn't have done that." And thus the crappy mood. Most people who fight this kind of battle loses entirely and eventually eat whatever they want. Do not fall into this hole. Just think of your goal, and only focus on that goal. If you like eating something, go ahead and eat it and don't feel guilty about it especially if you took into consideration of portion control and your overall daily needs.

I've never tried breathing exericises lol - but i've found that eating banana's really boosts my mood. Eating banana's and drinking heaps of water is what I've found helps.

Yes, bananas can really help in appeasing anger and mood swings. As well as almonds, cheese and orange juice. Cheese is a rich source of protein, tryptophan, essential amino acids and carbohydrates. Thus, the cheese helps improve mood and relieve irritability and moodiness. Also a glass of sweet oranges can also be a shock to anger. Mix sugar with lemon juice to make the limits of patience more flexible than they should, so useful for the control of mood and other negative emotions. Hope these helps.

Moods anger food related

I dont get angry that often. At least I dont think I do. Some situations and things do make me angry though. I talk to people about it and then I feel calmer and its gone. I bottle things up quite a bit, but I dont like to bottle up anger. I need to get it out and sorted

People who dont express their anger and get all passive aggressive wind right me up.

Back