Weight-Loss Losing weight through nutrition and running

Weight-Loss

Zizka

Hello everyone,
I was told to come here to ask my question.

I run an hour every day and I'm looking for a diet which will allow me to have the energy to run but I also want to lose some excess fat I have picked up. I'm 39. I don't know what else I should say. I'll eat anything and I'm willing to do whatever is necessary. I don't really eat that bad anyway but it could be better!

Thank you!

there are two basic ways your body will burn fat for energy. the most common is when your exercise. when you overexert yourself and your body runs low on stored glucose, fat is burned to supplement your immediate energy requirements. the other way is when you run out of stored glucose... that is, when you stop eating for a while.... typically 14 to 16 hours.

what makes you think you need some special diet to give you energy? when your body burns fat, your rate of oxidation actually rises... you have MORE energy. the key is finding the balance, but if you have stored fat, you have all the energy you need.

Thank you kindly good sir.

I believe you and it makes perfect sense only I don’t know what to eat unfortunately. I’m looking for a diet which I can just follow.

I run a lot and lose weight while doing it. I’m 40. My macros are about 30-35% protein, 20-25% fat, 40-45% carbs. I increased the carbs and reduced the protein more recently and I do believe it helps keep my energy up for runs. Right now I run 25+ miles a week but I will get up to about 50+ when I’m healthy, without injury. I don’t have a diet for you but it’s lots of salad, chicken, yogurt, eggs, fruit, nuts, other healthy choices, sometimes whole grains. I’m posting what I eat right now on my diary page.

That’s cool and very encouraging to read. I hope I can find a good diet to join you in losing weight through running!

you've probably heard it before, but try to limit your carbs and especially sugar and to a certain extent, alcohol. avoid foods that come in boxes and cans. there are dozens of ways the food industry has found to hide sugar into ingredients.

when i shop, it's mostly vegetables these days... some fruit.... whatever meat is on sale... soup broths and stocks have been a recent kick of mine. throw practically anything into a chicken or vegetable stock and you have the start of a great soup.

if you know your way around the kitchen or at least in some cases just be able to follow video instructions, there are many good food/ recipe sites on the internet...

Very Well Fit

I constantly exercise and try to limit myself to junk food. But sometimes I eat whatever I want. It doesn't stop me from losing weight

I constantly exercise and try to limit myself to junk food. But sometimes I eat whatever I want. It doesn't stop me from losing weight
That is a valid weightloss strategy, especially when you´re young and healthy, but not something most people are able to sustain long-term on top of work, commute, household, a social life (remember before Covid, when we had a social life?!) and maybe the care for dependents. Plus of course weightloss gets harder when you get closer to goal. Not to mention that even a small injury can mean months of no intense exercise. So while I´m all for working out it´s good to also get into the habit of eating mostly healthily if you want to be healthy and fit for life.

there are two basic ways to burn fat and one is exercise.
enjoy it while you are young, because regardless of how fit you are now, nothing lasts forever...

Have a kitchen discipline, also try going intermittent fasting.

Back