Looking for advice on the best time to take supplements

I have recently started Gym and i generally workout in the morning, however if I take the supplements early in the day are they still effective?

Any help will be much appreciated.

If you are referring to dietary supplements these will be as effective at most times of the day. You are better able to absorb nutrients shortly after training, but time of day is irrelevant.
One big thing to remember about the word supplement, it means making up for a lack in standard. In other words it is better to get your diet right than rely on supplements which can easily throw the balance of your diet off.
I don't know about the amounts in modern protein shakes but when I first started out and hadn't learned about nutrition I was taking supplements that provided between 25 and 30 grams of protein in a shake I would drink in moments. When I learned a bit more I found that this was between 1.5 to 2 times as much protein as the body could absorb in standard digestion and still more than it could manage during optimum time just after a workout, so much of it was going to waste.
Get hold of some genuine nutrition books that aren't backed by supplement sales and your abilities as a body builder will be well in excess of those less well read.

Some things the body building comics won't tell you, but genuine nutritional guidance will.
The human body is designed to run best on a diet high in complex carbs.
Body building requires more energy than protein by a long way. It is needed for training, recovery, fueling the metabolism when growing, even metabolising the protein itself. The bodies preferred source of energy for this is complex carbs.
A lot of excess carbs will be converted to fat, any it can't store using glycogen in fact, so will most excess protein and all excess fat in the body.
Muscle is made of protein in the same way as electric cable is made of plastic. Protein holds it all together but most of the contents are something else. In the case of muscle 75% is water, poetically the excess of both water and protein that cannot be converted to anything useful are removed in urine.
The big one. Western diets are high in sugar, fat, salt and protein and on average low in complex carbs aka starch. Despite this fact people wanting to supplement their diet remove more complex carbs and increase protein to gain or lose weight.

Please do not take my word for this and find out for yourself if I am right or full of fertiliser. The search will help you in your goal to build a bigger better body.

If I have totally missed the point and you are talking about other types of supplements please let me know. If they are the injected into muscle variety, these last days not hours so timing is not an issue.

Last edited:
I have recently started Gym and i generally workout in the morning, however if I take the supplements early in the day are they still effective?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Yes its helpful, but pre workout supplements should take only after proper consultation of your Gym trainer.

Its totally depend on what kind of supplements you are taking. Pre workout supplements should be taken before workout and post workout after workout. Most fat burning or dietary supplements are better to take in the morning.

As far i know early in the morning is the perfect time for exercise. Although i am just a new comer. You may get better solution from experienced members.

Back