life in the Paleolithic Era...

overlandflyer

i have mixed feelings about people's embracing of a so-called Paleo diet. a diet of food only available in the Stone Age. while it is true that the exclusions to this diet may not have been around 2+ million years ago, followers of this ludicrous diet seem to have the idea that fruits and vegetables were ripening on the trees and vines year round and meat or fish was something that was hunted, prepared and consumed every day. this was the Stone Age, guys... there was no town of Bedrock and Fred and Wilma didn't live a life of luxury.

when fruit was ripe, perhaps a few weeks each year, if at all, cavemen... along with other animals... would gorge on the temporary bounty. the human body is all set to turn those sugars into fat and that was their basic yearly or for that matter, daily plan during this annual occurance. hunting was far more difficult than grabbing the Winchester and bagging some wild game. some have even theorized that early humans may well have been more of a scavenger species than strictly hunters. when food was available, they ate... when food was not available (on plenty of days), they would fast.

the modern Paleo diet in no way mimics the actions of Stone Age humans.

It's all BS another fad diet.

the modern Paleo diet in no way mimics the actions of Stone Age humans.

Flyer is right in this, but it does not invalidate it as a weight loss method.

It's all BS another fad diet.

There are a lot of people who have success eating this way and you can get all of your essential nutrients with this diet, It has also been around for a substantial amount of time. so what in your opinion makes it a fad ?

Flyer is right in this, but it does not invalidate it as a weight loss method.

There are a lot of people who have success eating this way and you can get all of your essential nutrients with this diet, It has also been around for a substantial amount of time. so what in your opinion makes it a fad ?

So is the werewolf diet, the military diet, the keto diet, the vegan diet, etc. People lose weight, yes, but as soon as they are done with them they gain it back and paleo is the same. I don't see the differences.

as soon as they are done with them they gain it back

Every diet is like this, if you stop eating well you gain it back, this does not make a diet a fad it means the person doing the dieting does not know how to transition from weight loss to weight maintenance.

The Vegan diet is not a fad, there are many vegan who live that lifestyle permanently in a very healthy way. Their diet choice often has more to do with their beliefs than pure nutrition but done correctly paying attention to good nutrition it can be a healthy lifetime commitment.

Keto the same, it is not something you do for a short time then stop when you reach your goal, again it is a lifestyle choice that can be and is often very healthy, including for athletes of different types. I personally have been keto for years, and not always to loose weight but to build quality lean muscle, and to simply maintain, I also have colleagues who are ultra marathon runners who follow this lifestyle as it greatly benefits them with their sport.

I am not familiar with the Werewolf diet so cannot comment on that one.

This is a copy of a post I made yesterday -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dietary modifications for weight loss and weight loss maintenance. - PubMed - NCBI

and here is a review paper from this year basically saying all diets work about as well as each other, comparing

Dietary Schemes Based on Alterations in Carbohydrate and Lipid Composition of the Diet
Protein Intake for Weight Loss
Energy Intake Manipulations
The Case of Intermittent Fasting for Weight Loss
Meal Replacement Formulas for Weight Loss
Food Groups in Weight Management Programs
Dietary Patterns for Weight Management.
Timing of Eating: The Chronobiology of Diet and Weight Loss

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A fad diet, or novelty diet, is a diet that is popular for a time, often promising unreasonably fast weight loss or nonsensical health improvements ( like improving health by "detoxification") and have no scientific evidences and therapeutic application.

Paleo, IF, Veganism, Keto all have scientific backing, and as the above study shows, all diets work about as well as each other, so choose the one that suits you as an individual best. If you are able to see the full review article (rather than just the Abstract), it makes interesting reading. Choose one you can live with long term.

For me personally, assorted food allergies makes many diets unsuitable and unsustainable long term, making Keto a good fit and with the science to back it.

Of course for all of these diets you will find the scam artists looking to get rich quick of the misfortune of others, professing that their product will make it quicker, easier, etc keeping this in mind such advertising for crap can leave a poor impression of the valid diet they are trying to piggyback their marketing on.

Ah, the great debate. Let's try this from a different angle.

Why do we have a physiological need to eat? What is it that compels us to eat? And what do things we eat provide to us?

How often do we need to eat? How long can we abstain from that need? Why do you think this?

What benefit do we achieve when eating? Are there any detriments to eating? Does it depend on what we choose to eat?

You might find it slightly more difficult to put your answers in writing, but doing so should help you get a better understanding of our human diet. However, going through this excercise is best received when you think about answering the questions in the context of the diet you most disagree with. What would a proponent of that diet answer?

Once you have both sets of answers, you'll be in a much better place to arrive at a more accurate and confident conclusion. It may not change the diet you hold to be the best, but it certainly should open your eyes to the opinions and facts of others.

Once you have both sets of answers, you'll be in a much better place to arrive at a more accurate and confident conclusion. It may not change the diet you hold to be the best, but it certainly should open your eyes to the opinions and facts of others.

It is a lot to ask for many people to consider the other side of the debate from their own position, many cannot do it and are very set in their ways. As someone who follows a meat heavy keto diet, I fully support those who chose to be on the other end of the spectrum being Vegan. Forums can be very polarised. Of course this applies to many topics of conversation with people from different sides simply throwing abuse at each other.

i'm always looking for a nutritional diagrams that are between the two most common... extremely simple and ultra complex. lipogenesis and lipolysis (via body chemistry, not the modern laser version) are two processes i wish i understood more.

i agree, education is key.

Back