Keeping custody and weight gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlettfever

Ok so this is a long story but.. I was pregnant with my daughter last year when the child protection services got a notice from the midwives at the hospital because I had ketones in my urine and was malnourished and in a hospital bed. I gained so much weight, like 20 kilos, because I was frightened of losing my baby. The day after birth, she was taken away from me, and the child protection services had said nothing.
I lost some of the weight while fighting for my child and to regain custody, while I was treated with medicine for bipolar disorder. A woman I know noticed and looking at a picture of my daughter and me in a meeting I was allowed to have with her she said my daughter looked good but I did not because I had lost weight and was losing more. She also said The World Health Organization says the best BMI is at least 21. I am 24 in BMI and am nervous to lose weight because of this woman, who says she is concerned about me going back to weighing less as I used to.

Has anyone else as a mother experienced an individual guarding what you weigh? Is it really necessary to be over 21 BMI and has anyone else heard this?

I am trying to be healthy and watch what I eat and have lost a little but I have been snacking and spiralled downwardly into eating more unhealthy food like sweets and ice cream and more high calorie varieties. Partly I am scared when I lose weight because I think of that woman who was telling me about what to eat (rice instead of vegetables) and how much to weigh (at least BMI of 21). I am also nervous because of the child protection services and having and keeping custody of my daughter which I have had now for 4 months. Are mothers who are over 21 BMI the healthiest mothers? Are you only a good mother if you weigh at least that? I am 154 lb and 5'7 tall.

I did not breastfeed because my child was taken from me for 4 months. I am still struggling with my self image because of what happened and being scared not to lose weight.

My daughter is 8 months old now and I still feel like I am carrying extra weight. Is it normal to feel this? Even in these circumstances?

Welcome. You are in a tough situation and I have no familiarity with such a case so can't really comment. The forum is about encouraging people to eat healthy and exercise, so that is all I can really comment on. If you are eating around 2000 calories / day of healthy food and getting 20-30m of exercise every other day, then you will be on the right track for being healthy. As far as the other garbage that you are eating, just don't buy it. Keep it out of the house and you won't be able to give in to the cravings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back