jiu jitsu and weights

hello again I have been doing jiu jitsu for nearly 3 years . I understand that jiu jitsu is not about raw strength and more to do with redirecting it . I was wondering if following weight training routine would be any good . I know I just ask about doing bodyweight routine on the bodyweight section but I have been thinking about weights as I have a bench and some dumbbells .so any advice would help

Speed = power + coordination
Power = strength + coordination

So yes weight training can definitely help. It can also improve endurance, which will help immensely.

It helped me build up speed for boxing.

I don't know if you are still following this thread, but having enough muscle to properly execute technique is very important. After 3 years you should have developed much of what you need. Beyond a certain point too much muscle will just slow you down.
This assumes you are interested in technique, not just raw power.

To add on to this (I know this is an old topic but people are still viewing it), weight training and resistance training can help to fix imbalances caused by martial arts training, so it can improve longevity and health if you do this. Typical example is striking training that normally includes pushing motions (punches, push-ups, etc), which can be reversed by stuff like DB flies, face pulls, rows, etc. to improve shoulder health.

Back