Is your stomach tight? (C Section)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splash88

Hey Moms!

I am 23, and I have a son who is almost 1 (May 19). After a year of this "new" body, I want my figure back or something closer to it.

I am 5'9 and before I got pregnant I was around 200 lbs. My smallest was around 180-ish. The scale read 252 lbs tonight.

My stomach does not have the same muscle tone it used to have (obviously) but I am wondering will it ever be the same. Ive always had a nice tight stomach despite the additional weight...and my goal is to lose about 80 lbs.

I just want to know how many others have had good success with getting their bellies back to something recognizable!?!

Thanks

You had a Ceasearian. These are best avoided except for emergencies as they have consequences.

I've not even had a baby so i am not talking from experiences but i listen to a radio show about health and i have heard so much bad press about C-sections.

Also i worked with a woman once who had one. They cut through your muscle and your stomach is never quite the same again.

I'd never opt for one of these by choice but the doctors to push them to patients. I am amazed that so many people fall for it.

All that said, you can beautiful without being perfect. You can have a great body without being perfect. Maximise your good points and do the best you can with your weak points.

@ fourtyfour
I am a little disappointed with your post as it doens't really offer any helpful advice and seems to look down on Splash88 for the circumstances surrounding the birth of her child. Your last sentence is good but the rest really bothers me. C-sections are full of emotion for many moms and we can't change the past, even if we wanted to.

@Splash88
I know what you mean!!! My son was born via emergency c-section about 2 years ago (I also have 3 month old daughter via VBAC), and my new body is certainly different!! I was overweight when I got pregnant but also had a 'flat' stomach before my kids. This new tummy is sure interesting!! Go easy on yourself - your body has gone through an amazing process!
I have to say that I was really worried about my tummy going back to normal, and I am pleased to report that the more weight I loose the closer it is getting. I am not sure if it will ever be back to normal, but I am willing to love it becuase it is a reminder of my beautiful children!
I have spoken to some of the ladies in my mommy groups and many have said that it is possible to go back to near normal but it takes lots of work and dedication.
If you have diastasis recti (separation of the abdominal muscles), you will need to modify some of your training so that you don't do more damage to your weakened abdominal wall. You can have this evaluated by your doctor, a physiotherapist or you can google it and find some 'self tests' online.

Good luck - we can motivate each other!

Yes i was a bit blunt. But i certainly am not judging splash for her choice and I am sorry if I came across that way. I sympathise with her in fact. Its the doctors who are fault. They make money out of this procedure and in Australia at least many women are having Ceasareans who don't need them. Its not their fault. They have been mislead by their doctors.

That said, of course some women haven't got a choice and the operation is essential for the survival of mother and or baby. But these seem to be the minority.

The woman i worked with was a slim woman in her late 40s. She complained of her tummy and was thinking of have an operation to remove the bit she didn't like. Liposuction i think or a tummy lift. I wouldn't recommend going with either of those options unless there was a serious problem. I worked in a cosmetic surgery once. It was a big operation and we had a plastic surgeon as well. I would definitely not bother with liposuction as the results are not long lasting. And operating looks risky as it pulls up your pubic line if i remember correctly. This means your naval will be closer to your pubes and that would look weird. Better to have a little bit of excess.

It is definitely worthwhile working on your weightloss. And exercise for flat and strong stomach. Yoga and pilates are some types of exercise that do this.

You will look and feel beautiful when you reach your optimum weight. (Of course these things are possible even when you are not at your optimum weight) But your weight will most likely heighten the feeling so I say go for it. When you go to the beach, you see very few people with perfect bodies and those that do are often teenagers or 20 somethings anyway. Things change as we get older and its a matter of accepting those changes. Its the same with childbirth. It brings bodily changes even if you don't have a C section.

I don't get why you'd make a post like that, fortyfour? Apart from the short last sentence (which would have been fine by itself) it seems to be intended to do nothing but lecture and berate the OP for having a cesarean. Not helpful at all. There seems to be no point in it which surprises me as most posts I've seen of yours are informative, polite and helpful.

Glad to see that you've since offered helpful feedback.

Maybe I missed it, but where did splash ever say that she opted to have a c-section? You shouldn't judge people, or the dr's who do them. Especially if you have NO experience in the matter. It seems like you were being a bit harsh. I had 3 c-sections myself...the first one was due to an emergency, and I got pregnant again quickly and my dr said the best option was to do a repeat. And then of course I did it again for the third. I think not all dr's who recommend a c-section are doing it for any other reason then they thinks it's what is best for that situation. I have an amazing dr, and I would listen to anything he said without a doubt because I know he has my best interests in mind...... Splash, what does your incision look like? mine is pretty small and very low....I do have some belly overhang now, but that's just because I gained almost 65 lbs. with my 3 pregnancies. (I had 3 kids in 5 years) I'm not sure mine will ever go back because of the excessive weight gain, but my dr's did say that the younger you are, the better chance you have that everything can get back to normal because your skin still has alot elasticity. Hope that gives you some reassurance!

To set the record straight, the c section was not my option. My birth plan involved a natural labor with no drugs, but after arriving at the hospital and being on the fetal heart monitor for over 2 hours, my doctor ordered the c section. My son was not dealing well with the labor process, and his heart rate was going really low during my contractions and I had stopped dialating.

I didnt want the c section but I was told it was best for my son, and thus, had the procedure.

@ijustwannabefit - I dont this I have any muscle separation, my stomach hangs more now than before but I was told everything healed fine.

@misses - My incision is close to my waist line, at the top of where my pubic hair begins. Actually, if i let my pubes grow bushy, it coveres the incision...(Sorry TMI)
And its probably the length of my pinky finger.

@ijustwannabefit - I dont this I have any muscle separation, my stomach hangs more now than before but I was told everything healed fine.

@misses - My incision is close to my waist line, at the top of where my pubic hair begins. Actually, if i let my pubes grow bushy, it coveres the incision...(Sorry TMI)
And its probably the length of my pinky finger.

That's excellent that you have healed so well! That gives you a lot more options for safe workouts! My stomach hangs too - but as I have lost more weight it is shrinking.

Just to repeat myself, my post did not judge the OP for having a cesaeraian. I do not judge women for having a cesarean. Please read both my posts again.

Yes you can get your body back to where it was before the baby! Your abs will naturally seperate during pregnancy to make more room for the baby. Also, with a c-section, they usually pull the muscles apart to be able to get the baby out....they don't always need to cut the abs as this muscle is very pliable. Because of the very long stress place on your abs (9mths of pregnancy) and the pulling apart to deliver by c-section, it is going to take some work to get those abs back into shape...but it can be done. BTW...I've had 4 c-sections and I am now into a size 6 after the birth of my last baby 17mths ago.... Let me know if you need any help :)

Hey Moms!

I am 23, and I have a son who is almost 1 (May 19). After a year of this "new" body, I want my figure back or something closer to it.

I am 5'9 and before I got pregnant I was around 200 lbs. My smallest was around 180-ish. The scale read 252 lbs tonight.

My stomach does not have the same muscle tone it used to have (obviously) but I am wondering will it ever be the same. Ive always had a nice tight stomach despite the additional weight...and my goal is to lose about 80 lbs.

I just want to know how many others have had good success with getting their bellies back to something recognizable!?!

Thanks
You can def get your stomach tight again. you just have to have patience. you can start with deep breathing and start getting your core strong again. stay away from situps and plank for now. focus on strengthening your transverse abdominis. TA is your deepest core muscle. Engage your TA while sitting, standing and walking. get in habit of activating it all the time. pay attention to your posture ( very important)

Start activating your glutes daily and other than cardio please start lifting weight. I am a mom, nurse and personal trainer and i work with lots of moms who lose wight with cardio alone and they end up having saggy butt, armpit, stomach. If you add wight training, you don't have to do crazy amounts of cardio either. You will look strong and sexy with clothes and naked.

hope this helped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back