Is this schedule too much?

Hi,

I just wanted to confirm I was doing things the right way. I want to lose some fat...

For the past couple of months, I kept my heart rate up from 65-70% and I built up the stamina now, so I can keep the heart rate up at 80% for 5-10 minutes. Stamina is amazing, eh?

Anyhow, to get up to 80%, I usually can run (without overdoing it) at 6.0mph for about 5-10 minutes straight.

So I've started to do High Interval training, on a treadmill:

5 minutes warmup - walk to brisk walk using the incline.
5 minutes going 6.0+ mph - heart rate increases to 80 - 83%
5 minutes cool down - incline the treadmill and decrease speed to 4.0mph (brisk walking). Here, the heart rate drops to 65-70%.

Repeat for an hour. I just started doing this, but I hit the treadmill 5 times a week.

An hour of this, makes me burn 600+ calories (according to the treadmill) after each session.

I'm reading here that an hour is too long. So should I do 1/2 hour of HIIT and the rest of the 1/2 hour, just casual jogging? I want to burn as many calories as effectively and safely as possible.

Thank you

Ken

Ok here is a suggestion.

Don't do more than 35 or so minutes on the tredmill, overdoing it can end up making your body hang onto fat. Strange, but true.

Instead of such long intervals, change to short ones.

I used to run HIIT (my tredmill broke) and this is what I did:

Warmup-2 Minutes 3 mph walk

30 seconds 10 mph run
30 seconds 3 mph cool down

Intervals UNTIL the tredmill hit the 29 minute mark and then a 2 minute cool down 3mph walk.

Total 31 minutes. Sometime I have to walk in the middle for a few to cool myself down some more.

Don't eat anything 1 hour before and after you're done (I am sure you know that though).

Please though, be VERY careful doing this. Do not push yourself too hard.

Back